Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sword - Need some advice on detailing

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
Hello! It's good to be back on Polycount with something to actually share since I created my account back in 2013, when I was fifteen.

Long before then, I have been wanting to learn Blender/3d Modeling for a number of years, but unfortunately I never put fourth the effort, nor the time to do anything with it. This past week I've been committed to learning some more intermediate level skills in Blender while I have free time, and I'm at the point where I am starting to create my own models from scratch, or a reference image. Albeit not very good ones, but it's a start. I hope to share my progression from this point forward with you all on Polycount!

This model in particular is something that I've never tried before, and I am looking for advice on how to proceed from the point I am currently at. Take a look:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Here's the reference image, which can be found with a google search:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

So I have absolutely no idea how to even start on the pommel, or the detail on the guard. I'm tempted just to block it out with simple geometry, but I don't believe that will turn out too well. Should I sculpt it? That is something I need to learn more about, and I'm curious if this is a good place to start with it.

Another little thing I'd like to ask. In the reference image, the fuller (the bevel in the middle of the blade) is at more of a point. I kind of like how it is on my model now, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to bring it to a point, without causing problems towards the tip of the blade. I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kulture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kulture null
    Are you sculpting or hard modeling? And what process of texture do you want? PBR or handpainted?
  • Tekoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
    Kulture said:
    Are you sculpting or hard modeling? And what process of texture do you want? PBR or handpainted?

Haven't even tried sculpting yet, though I want to. That said, this was done with hard modeling by blocking out the basic shape. As for texturing, I wanted to give hand painting a go, because it is something I have done in the past. PBR on the other hand, completely new to it. By new I mean, haven't even tried it.
  • Kulture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kulture null
    Alright, well I would stay away from subdiving if you're box modeling.  if you want to add polycount to give more definition then I would bevel edges.  Especially if you want to go the hand painted route you want to stay as low poly as possible.

As for modeling the lion head, I would just go into a front view and get the basic silhouette with as few polys as possible.  And if you handpaint all of the details and depth would be through the texture.

To be honest, if you wanted to go for a handpainted stylized look I would choose a different weapon with a cooler shape.  But if you want to give this a shot that's my advice.  you have the basic shape down, just get it as low poly as possible and work on the lion head thing.
  • Tekoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
    Kulture said:
    Alright, well I would stay away from subdiving if you're box modeling.  if you want to add polycount to give more definition then I would bevel edges.  Especially if you want to go the hand painted route you want to stay as low poly as possible.
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

As for modeling the lion head, I would just go into a front view and get the basic silhouette with as few polys as possible.  And if you handpaint all of the details and depth would be through the texture.

To be honest, if you wanted to go for a handpainted stylized look I would choose a different weapon with a cooler shape.  But if you want to give this a shot that's my advice.  you have the basic shape down, just get it as low poly as possible and work on the lion head thing.

I see where you are coming from, and you might have actually changed my mind to experiment with PBR. When I started this model, I wanted to basically recreate what I saw in the reference image. I only wanted to hand paint it because that is something I am somewhat familiar with, but this may be a good chance to branch out. I'm currently at 367k tris (Sounds like a lot, maybe too many? Correct me if I'm wrong.) More than half of them come from that spot on the handle that you said I didn't need to model. Could that detail also be applied using PBR to achieve a similar look?
  • Kulture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kulture null
    That's waaay to many tris imo. You could easily achieve that look with a normal map or just with fewer polys
  • Tekoa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoa polycounter lvl 4
    Kulture said:
    That's waaay to many tris imo. You could easily achieve that look with a normal map or just with fewer polys

Ha, that's what I figured. I'm not going to be using this as a game asset, but I'm gonna treat it as good practice to watch my poly count. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but keep in mind I only really started getting into this about a week ago. I know I could google this, but for good measure, if I were to apply a normal map to a low poly mesh, would that normal map be baked down from a higher poly mesh just for that purpose?

For example, could I bake down my current mesh into a normal for use on a lower poly version?