Home Technical Talk

maya - complete tool?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
solar polycounter lvl 18
Just noticed that if I'm working in wireframe mode and want to switch to a different component mode I have to right click precisely on the wire of the mesh. If I don't, I get the complete tool/select all marking menu. Not only is this annoying but complete tool doesn't actually appear to do anything.

Is there a way of maintaining the regular component selection marking menu when clicking in space in viewport (same way max right click works)

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Can you not just remap verts, edges and faces to a hotkey?
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I already have them remapped anyway. I was more curious than anything else though.
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    I've noticed Maya is a bit buggy like that, it will occasionally get stuck in component mode. By default F8 will switch between object and component mode, so when it gets stuck, just hit that a couple of times. Unfortunately I don't know if there's something that is the main cause of that bug.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    What does the complete tool function actually do? When I select it, nothing happens. ..
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    From the mel reference.

This command tells the current context to finish what it is doing and create any objects that is is working on.

Basically it's completely useless in any workflow, for example create a nurbs curve, add some points. When you want to complete using the tool right click on the empty space and say complete. Useless.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, Complete Tool does what it says on the tin. I always assume it was written by a complete tool... totally useless button.

In general the Maya right-click "context" menu often seems to get the "context" wrong in my experience, and quite frequently it could clearly use a bunch of extra options in there which would actually be useful when you're just right-clicking in the viewport instead of directly on an object.

It seems like the only way to edit that stuff is through hacking around with the default .mel files, you can't edit it through any of the preferences menus as far as I've found. Unless someone knows otherwise?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    For me it works as long as my mouse isn't over a different mesh when I right click.
  • alch3mist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alch3mist null
    Same problem for me even after trying all of these suggestions. 
    For me, I did not realize I had made the object a Live selection and therefore rendered the complete tool useless. In addition, the 'select all' button was only working on the objects around the one I was trying to select. 
    Simply toggling off the Live Surface on the desired object allowed me to select the object again.

Hope this helps!