Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Home Sweet Hole [WIP]

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys!
Here's an environment I've been working on On/Off for some months now and I'm at a point where I really want to finish it but I'd like to have some feedback of what do you think  is missing for it to look better before I call it done.

Thanks!

Replies

• radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radumitroi polycounter lvl 6
    I think your walls are too empty right now. Maybe add some peeling off effect to that wallpaper in some areas, with actual geometry, not just by texture. Maybe add some more variety in the ceiling texture as well.
    I also think (this may be just my personal preference) that your scene is too saturated. I think desaturating it a little might help.

I've taken a look at your artstation profile and those props look good, but I think that this lighting doesn't help them look as good as they do. Maybe try a lighting more as the one from the concept you've used.

I would also make more of these little props that you could place them around and make the scene feel more full.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    I like the barrenness of the walls, of the whole scene really. It seems to tell the story of a man who has next to nothing, and the more there is the less next to nothing he has. In some of the shots the walls do look a bit repetitive, but in others it's more obvious they're broken up.
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @radumitroi thanks for the feedback,I'll definitly try to relight my scene,any tips on the lighting?Static,dynamic? What kind of light do you usually use or what kind of things you usually do to make it looks good and realistic?

@FreneticPonies Thanks for your feedback,it's exactly the feel I was trying to get so I'm glad you felt it :)

• radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radumitroi polycounter lvl 6
    @Vincent3d I assume you're using Unreal. I can't be of any help when it comes to any in-engine tips because I'm not using Unreal.
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took some advice and adding stuff,ripping wallpaper a bit...more to come!

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Light bounce is somewhat too intense I think.
    Looking at the cardboard box side that's towards the camera I think you'll see what I mean.
    And maybe reduce the bloom a bit and have some very basic roof somewhere outside the windows (very slightly visible) that'll give it a lot more depth. What you see outside the window here sums it up.
    Some dirt decals on the floor would go a long way.
    Looking at the walls I think the ceiling needs to be more dirtied up as well, maybe some water stains like this.

Watching your progress :)
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the critique ,I'll sure follow your advices!

For the light bounce,it's because the light coming from the big window on the right is touching the floor right behind the box/cloth pile,we just can't see it in the screenshot :)

• Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another progress shot,I think it's pretty close to what I wanted to have,if you have some last advice or stuff you think would really make a difference,I'm all ear!