Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Sculpt - Feedback appreciated

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
aniket polycounter lvl 2
Just something I'm working on, I haven't actually done any work on the feet or hands yet, just got the shape and proportions, so ignore those, and the head is not even anything, it's just there as a placeholder so forget that as well lol. Just looking for some feedback, whether it be positive comments or constructive criticism.

Replies

• Youshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youshi polycounter lvl 3
    Proportions are generally pretty good, your head is a little small, bring the jaw down a tad, and bring your clavicle slightly up, your Sterno mastoid is REALLY long your pecs are WAY to close, try to define the sternum a little more, especially the xypoid process, its a fairly pronounced landmark.

Do some research on the heads of the deltoid and pectorals. The Deltoid sperates into three heads along with the pecs

Anterior (Front)
    Lateral (middle)
    Posterior (back)

Do some research into the bones they connect too, Clavicle, scapula and humorous, specifically where they connect too

The Pectorals are self explanitory in the name

Clavicular (top region) Connects to the medial portion of the clavicle
    Sternocostal (main region) Connects to the sternum
    Abdominal (tiny head most of the time only visible in really vascular subjects) connects to the cartlidge of the 8th-10th rib.

Your obliques look a little odd, almost like they're splitting into three groups, at most you're looking at two forms, might be getting confused with the serrattus muscles.

Overall, it's good! Keep it up!

I could pick at the forearms a little but this kind of thing goes on forever.
  • aniket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniket polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you so much Youshi! Really appreciate the help, just wanted to update on a few things. The sternomastoid is too long cuz I haven't actually started doing work in that area, like the neck leading up to the head. As for the deltoids, I noticed that too and also yeah the forearms need work as well, I agree so I did some updates, and wanted to show them. But I don't really understand what you mean when you say the pectorals are too close, doesn't that vary from person to person? i have seen pictures of people having notable gaps in the middle, while others have just a thin line separating them. Oh and I will start working on the obliques. Again, thank you so much :)

• aniket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniket polycounter lvl 2
    Not sure if this is better, but I tried to fix the obliques

• aniket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniket polycounter lvl 2
    And here is the chest, not sure if this is what you meant

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    right now his hips look like he's missing a femur.

overall not bad, keep looking at reference. his triceps could use more refinement.
  • aniket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniket polycounter lvl 2
    Do you mean that I should pull his hips out to make them wider? Like this?
    After working on a character for a time, you start to miss stuff. After you pointed it out, I was like woah, where'd his hips go? So thanks for that Tectonic :)

• Youshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youshi polycounter lvl 3
    It might be that you need to make some kind of suggestion, the femur bone is a boney landmark that protrudes just beneath the illiac crest, there is mostly just connective tissue that runs over it, it's one of the harder things to do with the male figure (in my opinion), to get it to look right that is.

Also you're right, it varies from person to person, depending on how muscular they are, chest muscles are hard to grow, most people won't have touching pectorals until they're pretty huge, and even then, yours don't look correct, because you haven't studied enough how they connect to surrounding bone mass.

The whitish looking muscl tissue isn't muscle, it's connective tissue, this doesnt grow like muscle, and as you can see a large medial portion of the sternum has nothing but bone, and because connective tissue doesnt grow like muscles, when people have really huge pectorals, you get that weird irregular lines, similar to the abdominals.

It's pretty clear here, you can see the middle of the sternum has nothing, and the connective tissues are taught from his large muscles, the Xyphoid process is very clear (Triangular space at the bottom of the pecs).

Pecs don't ever really touch, and they're certainly not straight, use more reference, use medical reference, and actually learn about anatomy, don't just look at pictures of half naked people. It's not enough.

• aniket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniket polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks Youshi, I'll keep that in mind. The main reason why I haven't studied fully into anatomy is because I am making my own game and have a deadline so I need to move on to the next phase. But when I have the time I have every intention of developing a comprehensive understanding of anatomy.