Home Technical Talk

Errors when baking Displacement Maps

andropof
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
andropof polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys,
when I try to bake Displacement Maps I encounter mainly two issues, and i need your help:

1- 
As you can see: the same model, the same material. I've changed only the Scale value of the Displacement Map: the one on the left has the value set to 0, the one on the right to 1. The problem is that also the areas when the plane geometry needs to be flat (unchanged) got shifted. 

Those are the setting I've used for the bake. I've used the "Suggester Scale" as the scale center in Marmoset. I've tryed to use the "Median Value" without success.

This is the scene... Normal Map is ok... so I can't understan why Heigh Map is not working...

2- The second issue is related on how bad the Heigh Map works...

The one on top is the low poly with the Heigh Map, the one below is the original high poly... It's a completely different shape!

P.S: Also... if 50% grey correspond to "unchanged"... why the areas that need to be unchanged are black???

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    If you apply the height map in a displacement, you should give the mesh some base subdivision so it can tessellate from there. Anyways, Using displacement map on hard surfaces / small / sharp / simple details like this isn't really a good approach and its very wasteful. You should just give it that 24 extra triangles to represent the shape in geometry, and noone would get hurt. Parallax would make a few percent more sense, but still its better ro just model out this one. Use displacement for large scale details like rounded stones etc.

Anyways, for the offset issue, adjust the scale center slider. And I think the incorrect shape could be wrong color space. If srgb is enabled, disable it.
  • andropof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andropof polycounter lvl 3
    I've understood your point. But I wanted to bake Displacement Maps to create surface details in my high poly model. 

Like the ones i've highlighted in red. I don't want to use a normal map for those details, because I want to render the high poly model in Arnold, and i want it as realistic as possible, also from close up...
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Go for it. the efficiency of the highpoly model doesn't matter as long as your computer and you can handle it and you are fine with it. I was talking about using displacement on a lowpoly asset.

Why couldn't you just model those straight lines out by the way? 
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    If you want to make a high poly version of that piece on top of the gun, you could make a flat plane. 1 half has those with those patterns and the other half is flat. After that, cut out the basic shape, then extrude all those border edges downwards. Now just scale said selected edges downward in that direction to flatten them. After that, it's just a matter of bridging and adding your bevels.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way you're trying to approach this doesn't make any sense.

Firstly, for the top two sections in your reference, you could have modeled those with traditional modeling techniques in the time it took you to write this post. It would look better and be a lot easier to set up too.

Secondly, if you're going to use a displacement map for the complicated detail on the grip, the most logical thing to do is create a height map in photoshop. If you're going to model an accurate high poly version of this to bake down to a height map - just skip the baking part and use the high detailed model, you're using an offline renderer after all.

The reason you're seeing a slight offset in your top image is because your graypoint, zero point, or point at which no displacement should occur is not calibrated correctly. What this means is that in your height map, the greypoint should generally be exactly 50% gray. Slightly brighter or darker will result in the problem you're seeing. You may also be able to adjust the zero point in your shader to match your texture content.