Home General Discussion

A communal Spyder 5 Pro monitor calibration device

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
Hi, 
I recently bought a Spyder 5 pro advanced monitor calibration device, i now have both my monitors calibrated and its made a world of difference i would certainly suggest other artists to do the same. Well the device i bought is now idle doing nothing. This brings me onto the idea, i would be willing to load the device to the community, i would send the device to the next person that needs it and then he or she would send it on to the next person or send it back. These devices retail for £125 and i really dont see the point in everyone buying one individually as they it takes about 5 minutes for the calibration process and then the device goes unused. For students and hobbyists it could be to expensive.

I have been looking for people in my local area that need this doing but i can find anyone. This would be open to people living in the UK. What do you think about this. I know that the chain could be broken by a selfish person, but then thats life. 

If your in the UK and want to calibrate your monitors give me a message on this thread. 

Replies

• Tokusei
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    Seems like a good idea dude, If you are willing to loan it out the best way would probably to agree on a deposit which you can return after you receive the device again. ie they can send you 100quid and once you receive it, or the next person who wants to use it does, the cash is returned to them. 
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a good idea, it means you dont have to have the hastle of selling and avoid waiting for a sale and the fees involved. Could work. 

I also thought you could permanently mark the device and paint it so that it is obviously property of the polycount forums for instance. 
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if i remember rightly @EarthQuake did something like this a couple of years ago, people just paid the postage required for him to send it to them, and for it to be returned.

i've lent mine out to a few people from polycount as well with no issues, though granted i've met them all in person at one time or another.

good initiative =]
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    You're suppose to calibrate every few weeks; as it gets out of calibration.  I own the Spyder 4.
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah I tried doing a similar thing. I had people paypal me the cost of shipping and sent the device out. Only 1 or two people took me up on the offer if I remember correctly. I didn't ask for a deposit or anything, I feel like if you stick to established members it should be pretty safe, but it's up to you.

Calibrating every few weeks is very excessive, while it's true panels shift over time, we're talking more like years than weeks to see a significant difference. Plus, a monitor calibrated once is still better than never.
  • jaker3278
    Offline / Send Message
    O right, like you said sticking to established members would be what i would like to do. I dont want to charge them massive deposits that seems like its missing the point of loaning. Iv offered it to a couple of people that live locally but they dont seem that bothered, i guess they dont know what they are missing. The manual suggests every 6 months, I dont know exactly what there basing that on.