Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Want to improve, seeking all criticisms and critique. Anthropomorphic Lizard Sculpt.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
redcap polycounter lvl 11
I have no ego I am trying to maintain, I just honestly want to get better at sculpting/anatomy. So please take the gloves off and let me have it. This first piece I am specifically looking for critique on anatomy and form. Where is the anatomy off, where is the form weak. If there is anything else that stands out as needing improvement besides anatomy and form, please let me know as well. 

This piece is the rough stage of the sculpt, I hope to improve upon the form before moving into detailing; hence there are little to no detailing. I will eventually be adding scales and plates, but for not it is just a base sculpt to work from. 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Those abs and serratus magnus are not precise to human abs.  Get them fixed, use reference (not just muscle anatomy, but actual people's abs)
  • redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome feedback, I will work on it right away. I feel your suggestion of looking at things besides muscle anatomy is a great suggestion, I will try and post an update when I get it to a better point. 
  • SaraSchwartz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My thoughts are it looks like a dinosaur head slapped on a mans body with long ass arms.  But honestly it's not bad and I can't comment on muscles since I have no clue how those work.  But from an lizard x human standpoint, he needs more lizard features. 

I notice lizards have saggy neck skin, maybe add that and the little spikes some have on their heads.  On that note his tail is super stubby.  i think you might need to show us which lizard you're trying to mimic or maybe pick one specific type.  Also lizards typically? have long torsos.  That could help make it more fancy.

• redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, again, awesome feedback. Simply elongating the body and tail really does add a lot to how it reads. It is awesome how something so small pushes the model so much. Thank you. Will try and post the changes later today or tomorrow.
  • Kulture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kulture null
    From a sculpting standpoint I would say to take a look at your planes.  Smooth out your surfaces to get clean reads.

I'd take another look at the biceps, they seem to be a little wonky and the insertion points don't look correct.  Also I would add little thingys on the heel like this:

But thats just me =D

• redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Brian Choi : You were spot on with your critique. Looking at more references and using the serratus magnus as a spring board I found how wrong I was when it came to abs, and the front torso in general. I went through my wife's old college anatomy book and looked at how the muscles are attached, looked at a lot of real references, and looked at other artists work as well.  What other things do you see? I value your insight.

@ SaraSchwartz: Side by side comparison with the model elongated really helps me see how bad it looked in the first place. I love your suggestions and the form is already much much better to me. I still need to add the frills/spines, and details in general but I am liking where the head and neck is going a lot more. The tail elongation also helps sell its reptilian features. Thank you for your insights, any other thoughts now before I start adding details?

@ Kulture: Went through the arms one more time, checking anatomy references and muscle connection points. Changed some things but for the most part the arms' anatomy looked okay in my eyes. Do you have any specifics of what makes the arms look "wonky". I believe you in your assessment, it's just that my inexperienced eyes  don't see what is wrong. Also I don't know what I am looking for when I look at my planes. Do you have any specific planes that just look glaring to you? Thanks for you feedback, my inexperience just didn't let me know what to look for exactly.

My next step is adding detail, but I still don't know if I am to that point yet. Any other feedback? Thoughts on the changes I made. I really do appreciate all the great feedback I have been getting. 
  • jacopoS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Hey man, I can see your work improved a lot!
    I can't see any newer image of the back so I'll give you a critique under the assumption that it still looks like it used to in your earlier post.
    When you deal with the back, it is very important to establish the scapulas. More specificly, you should be able to spot the spine, the medial border and the acromion. All of the nearby muscles get basicly built around those landmarks. So that's a very important thing to look for.
    Also the 7th cervical vertebra is going to stick out from the base of the neck ant that's another rather important feature to establish.
    Another thing I can see is that apparently your triceps are lacking the fuller area near the armpits. Basicly the area closer to the elbow is just a big tendon and therefore is going to be rather flat. While the area closer to the armpit is composed by actual muscle fiber and therefore is going to bulge out.
    Here an image to help you make sense of what am I talking about. ;)

• redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a while but I was able to get back to the model. Thank you everyone for your patience with me trying to get better, all of your feedback has been priceless. This is where I am at, at this point. I buldge the tricep a lot, but not as much as the reference image. I am not going for super buff look, but if you think I can increase it more