Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio (Feedback Wanted)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone! I finally put together a portfolio. Right now I'm looking for some feedback before I start applying for jobs. If there's anything you guys think I can improve upon, please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it. You can check out my portfolio right here: patrickkrause3d.carbonmade.com

Replies

• Colton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colton polycounter lvl 2
    Looks pretty solid. Non art related your contact page is pretty empty. Maybe have a short sentence about looking forward to hearing from them and links to LinkedIn etc. You could also have your resume linked. 

Looking great keep it up!
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some minor changes, but I've updated my portfolio website. I reworked the anatomy and rendering on Scarlett Johansson, removed any fibermesh from Zeus and sculpted his beard, removed my grandmother model, and added my Mega Man model. It has been a few months since I linked this portfolio on the forum, so you guys probably don't remember what I originally put. In case you can't find my portfolio link from two posts up, I will link it here: https://patrickkrause3d.carbonmade.com/.

If I could get some more feedback, that would be great. What do you guys think about these pieces? Which models do you think I should keep? Which do you think I should remove? What do you guys think I can improve upon? Would you say I'm ready to apply for a job with this portfolio or not? I look forward to reading your responses. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Thank you for putting all your art on the landing page.

First instinct I get is that all your pieces are not polished and are not game ready.

You need better lighting set ups.  Where's the fill lgiht?  Where are the back lights for rim lighting?

Mega Man Child has incorrect normals on the helmet blocks.  Theese are very obvious and need to be fixed.
    No obvious topology for limbs.  You seem to just have thrown more edge loops at it and called it a day.
    I chuckled cuz it's a funny idea.

Red Riding Hood
    The skin is flat.  Where are the color zones?  Why is the albedo just this flat color?  Where is the subsrface scattering? Pores?  Transparency? 
    Hair is not feathery.  Reading as blocks of textures, not hair strands.
    Weapons are fine.  Strongest part of the piece.
    Design overall is ho hum.  Can't tell if she's a fetishization in the way Sucker Punch characters were, but she's not standing out to me right now.  Without her weapons, how do i know that she's a hunter/killer?  It is a sexy dsign though.

Scorpio
    The cahracter as a whole is reading way too even.  The silhouette is interesting, but it's reading all as the same material.  Even the character deesigns in Marvel Cinematic Universe have some internal silhouette breakups (Iron Man as one example).  You need to NOT make it all shiny and think about where you want areas of rest to be.  
    The design is interesting, but also feels like generic sci-fi aesthetically.  There doesn't seem to be a specific thrust besides Scorpion, exo suit, and metal armor.

Lion Warrior
    Best design out of all your characters.  
    Skin is flat.  See Red Riding Hood.
    Hair isn't feathered, unless this is specifically a style decision.

You're almost ready, but you seriously need to polish these pieces.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    - I really like your scorpion dude. It'd be good to see the poly count in the description. I'd render with a different colour than a blue background, because 3 images of a blue character in front of a blue background gets a bit hard on the eyes. I'd use the full body image of him on the main page, because 5/6 of your main page images are chest and up.

- I'm not really into the Mega Man model, but that could just be me. When I see the image on the main page, my eyes are immediately drawn to the eyebrows and mustache; I think they're quite poorly done. The texturing on this model could also use a ton of work. Personally, I'd remove that.

- Red Riding Hood looks pretty cool. When looking at all your models I think you really need to work on your hair. Once again, the full body images of RRH look way cooler than the chest-up image, use one of those. I'd get rid of the image of her gun because it's not really well textured (it looks like you have a modeled & sculpted gun, but then just applied a material to each part with no adjustments).

-Zeus: His lighting bolt looks more like tree roots than a lighting bolt. His eye lashes look really weird. I wouldn't include this in your portfolio.

All in all, I think you should practice a lot on your texturing skills and hair skills. Are you doing a high-poly sculpt? It would be interesting for you to include images of the high poly. Include poly count in the description and also give an image of your UV layouts so the people doing the hiring can tell that you're good at that. I'm not a character artist, so I'm not sure if you're ready to start applying for jobs, but I can see a ton of places you should work to improve. Try adding damage or markings onto your textures.

And above all, keep at it. You're doing great!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    like everyone is already saying, texture details and overall lighting and presentation needs work.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    When I saw your work for the first time, I thought it looked ripe for belonging in Killer Instinct's universe.

And I don't say this in a negative way. I'm under the current impression that if you match that artstyle and level of detail, it would hugely benefit your work.

Especially now there's the 2013 remake of that game. 

Scorpio = Glacious or Fulgore
    Little Red Riding Hood = Sadira or Orchid
    Lion Warrior = Sabrewulf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF1mluZi5mE

Tell me what you think?
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll keep in mind your critiques. I'm thinking of moving on from Scorpio and Red Riding Hood though. I feel as though I need to work on something new.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    When you finish a piece, it's always good to keep moving. People will give you advice in the beginning, but if you keep taking advice, you'll just keep working on the same thing forever.