Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jordanbeeston

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jordanbeeston polycounter lvl 2
This will be a log and progress of my current project.

I am trying to use this as motivation so i show progress every week day until i have finished.

Any critiques on this would be helpful so i can learn what im doing wrong ...which im sure will be plenty!

Replies

• Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i recently did a blockout of my scene, the idea is a post apocalyptic city, the train has derailed causing catastrophic damage to nearby buildings. in my mind the texturing will tell the story that this didnt just happen ...as they will be overgrown folliage around the city to make it feel abandoned.

The story isnt yet concrete, but i have the premise and will try and add clues as to what happened as i progress.
  • Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I just got started on any asset because i was procrastinating on how to start, started with a bin so not very big in the scene, bit of room for error and a warm up maybe.

i still need to place a garbage pile inside, not sure of what yet, maybe things in the bin could be subtle clues ... dead boy parts etc ... however i dont want to overload the scene as there needs to be a main focal point 

texture done in substance designer, its tileable :) apart from the metal bit at the top which i added in painter.
  • Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Today I started making the low poly model of the roads / pavement which i plan to create as modular pieces, some with drains ...unless i can make this seperate and just use the subtractive feature in unreal so that theres the appearance of a connected drain 

either way i let myself go a little bit more crazy on the bevels so its not super low poly to what i usually make but maybe this is a good thing as everything i make has lower quality?

going to try work on the tileable texture tomorrow in designer
  • Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Today i textured the roads using substance designer, i think it looks ok bt its not 100% what im looking for and the consistency is a bit off

I think basically i have done it wrong slightly as the whole material is one material in designer rather than creating a couple and blending them together which is what im going to do tomorrow and basically re do this, for example just create a concrete material, road base, road dirt and then a paint ... the other thing is perhaps i dont necessarily need to create from scratch as painter already has some good presets for concrete / gravel etc etc 
  • Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Had to be at work over the weekend so i am now back for the week to progress, im making a modular building, this is specifically the building that the train is crashed into.

Think im going to create multiple textures and expose the parameters so that i can just the same building multiple times but just changing the hue slightly etc etc,

still have a bit more modelling to do for each modular piece and also some random things like spot lights, cctv, electric panel, wall lights, corner bricks, the only thing im not too sure of is the the lack of bevel on the corners at the moment, if i dont bevel then the UV layout can be perfect however if i do then the edges will warp in the UV's from my experience, not sure how to combat this? because i do think i could use bevels to make it nicer ...or just cover it with the corner bricks?
  • Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

another update, having cleaned up the polycount a bit, most of this will just be tileable textures, however the windows and door etc will be assets
  • Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update on current project as i have been at work for the weekend, i have finished modelling the low poly train and i just need to either sculpt some detail in where the crash would have affected it, or for most of it i can get away with minor detail in substance.

next though is the boring UV unwrapping for the train! yay!