Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on 3D model?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jordanbeeston polycounter lvl 2
Hey Everyone,

I have posted a few times in level up and 10k so im sorry if you have seen duplicates, just trying to get as much feedback as possible so when i finially upload it onto my portfolio it will be the best piece ive done so far :) 

the link to the marmoset viewer is below, essentially i havent added any PBR materials, so its basic shaders so it shows the layout and composition of the scene mainly, if anyone has any feedback at all though i would be extremely grateful :)

i was also thinking of adding a backpack and clothes pile in the corner of the room but not sure if it would make the room overcrowded, what do you think? 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xyRJ1

Replies

• Zagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zagan polycounter lvl 3
    A good idea would be to give it a little more life, to tell a story about the people who lived there and what happened. Maybe they where in a hurry and had to leave things behind or where searching for something and leave a mess.

It has to answer the question "what happened here?" 

I don't think your idea of adding some things to the scene would make it overcrowded, if you feel something might look good try it!
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zagan, 

yeah im going to try add a few more items to add to a story and maybe some footprints in the textures.

someone also said to maybe remove the front walls so that you can see in easier, would you also agree that would help (rather than having 4 walls) 

Thanks again for the feedback, hopefully i can crack on and finish this piece and give it a better story feel :) 
  • Zagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zagan polycounter lvl 3
    I don't know, you could try it with the wall that has the door, it may look cool and if it doesn't you can always go back.
    Looking forward to see the more!
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man, yeah i tried it here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8axdw

looks a bit better i think :) 
  • Zagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zagan polycounter lvl 3
    It looks really cool good work! 
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Good stuff! if you're working with substance painter, I would try having a bit more control with the roughness values, as a lot of the stuff looks like they have the same reflections so to speak.

the book shelf is my favorite, because the lighting etc. With the walls and most things architectural are you creating a tiling material, or sculpting the whole wall and baking from that?

good stuff!
  • Jordanbeeston
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zagan! :)

Hey Bandit, yeah i see what you mean, like more variation? for some reason when i inverted the roughness in marmoset the outside of the walls became shiny and the inside not so much, unless its the lighting.

Yeah i just started this project with little to no knowledge of how to make an environment so i sculpted the wall as one piece in zbrush and then retopologized and baked ... whereas i think i would make use of substance designer a bit more now to create some tileable stuff ...would be faster anyway! aha

Thanks again
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Ohh maybe that's the reason. That's fine then dude, the good thing is you're making things and trying out the software etc.

I would for sure try your hand at both sculpting tiling materials and then designer for sure.

the substance apps are fun for sure :D Keep going dude