Home Technical Talk

best way to cut holes in this object

This may be a simple answer for most of you but i was wondering how i would go about adding holes there the clinders are, keeping it within quads and being able to mesh smooth/turbosmoother afterwards - tried boolean but im not getting anywhere with that

these are where id like the holes to be set and if it helps this is the reference image  any help will be greatly appreciated 

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if you take a close look you can see its not just a round hole....
    they also chiped a part off... you can see a staight line if you look from the side...

first you need more geo on the cylinders.... tha do some booleans and clean them up...

but i would model those things in fusion 360..
  • dlz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    Keep it simple and build it from big shapes to details and i think booleans is not a bad idea.
    You have to think in the topology from the begining and what you have left when you do the booleans so you can do that for example (in Maya) i would do this:
    -Make a general cylinder with 16 subdivisions axis and the other two cylinders with 8 subdivisions axis so you can do that

-Do the booleans 

-Clean the topology: merge vertex conect with the cut tool to make the quads and use mirror tool to minimize the work

-then you can duplicate your object with rotation to make the whole mesh and merge the final vertex 

Btw there's a post in that forum called "how to model that shape" or something like that, i think you should try looking that and ask the questions thre
  • Obscura
  • simondudley21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help, so far i've got this 
    when i looked around the section i noticed this issues, what would be the best way of fixing this?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Personally I disagree with @dlz about the 16-sided and 8-sided cylinder, in theory yeah it's fine but that will leave you with an unusable lowpoly for later on (unless you want to go for super lowpoly mesh, but then again you will have a wavy normal map along the edges) and also when you continue on extruding the cylinder, the geo that you have will most likely be too less to other details.
  • dlz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlz polycounter lvl 4
    @Revel: I made the lowpoly to use the smooth or subdivided version i think its the easy way to model that think, but like @oglu said my mesh dont match exactly the concept, i think it would be solved smoothing to have more polygons and moving some vertices so the holes are exactly like the image