Home Technical Talk

Cannot open Settings/Preferences in Maya 2017 (value out of range error?)

Lyrup
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lyrup polycounter lvl 5
Dear Polycounters,

I'm having some strange problems as of recent with my Maya, I believe it's happening within a single maya file but I'm not quite sure. I'm not sure if any of these problems are related with one another, but I have the following problems:

Problem 1: Sometimes when I try to open Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences I get the following error in the debug line:

The preferences window doesn't open when I get this error. Sporadically however, it will open, but when I try to change some settings and try to save them I get this error:

I've tried to reset my Workspace to factory settings and I also reset all my preferences. Most of my settings appear to be resetted but I still get the above mentioned errors.

I'm getting the feeling there is some weird kind of corruption going on with my maya file.

Problem 2: When I try to select a manipulator a viewport tool settings menu pops up that I don't want to... For example: I've just selected a couple of faces and decide to scale them so I press R for scale. Then the scale manipulator shows up and I try to select one of the manipulator axes to click-drag. However, when clicking with the left mouse button, sometimes a tool-settings cloud menu pops up. I don't want to see this menu pop up, I just want to click-drag on the axis to get the job done. I don't know what kind of setting or selection causes this tool-settings cloud menu to appear.

Hope anyone can help me out,

Cheers!

Replies

• Lyrup
    Offline / Send Message
    Lyrup polycounter lvl 5
    Okay, I think I've solved both issues.

Solution tot the error:

I had to find my userprefs.mel file in the documents/maya/2017/prefs folder, open it with a text editor and find:  -iv "EEexprEdTextEditor" 0; and change the 0 to a 1.

The second problem was 'solved' by resetting my user preferences, however I still don't know exactly which setting caused it in the first place.

Edit: I'm not sure if I can 'close' this thread since I solved the problems... but I might just leave it here in case somebody else ever needs it.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Thanks for posting the solution if anyone else stumbles into this thread.

One thing that I find very useful is doing a copy + paste of your Maya settings folder to use if your normal one gets corrupt. Seems to happen about twice a year.