Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Bigger Environment with Gothic like influences

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
USBAdapter polycounter lvl 3
Hey Guys!
I'm working on my first bigger Environment for a one-semester long Game Project. I took some Inspiration from Dark Souls and Lords of the Fallen.
I'm pretty much done with the Blockout Process and started to add some Textures to get a better Picture for what I am going with this. So far I have learned incredibly much about the Unreal Engine, Substance Designer, and the Gothic Architecture. Most of the Assets aren't final yet since I'm getting better and better and often get the feeling that I want to rework certain assets. So far I've put about a Month of work into it. Every kind of Feedback is appreciated! And if u have cool technique/Asset/Prop ideas that could help me with my Project feel free to enlighten me! :D

Replies

• Bearsin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearsin null
    I think if you rotated the floor texture by 45 degrees it would look a little bit better. Great work though!
  • USBAdapter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some changes to the Brick Texture, mostly made it a lot smoother to get a little better contrast. I also Added a couple Assets and Textured them. The Light needs a lot of Works, they are pretty much all placeholder lights to just show in what direction i want to go.
  • USBAdapter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, a quick Update, worked a bit on the Lighting and made a  couple Props to fill the scene.
  • USBAdapter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Frezno513
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frezno513 polycounter lvl 2
    This is amazing! I'm really digging the lighting you have set up in here. Do you have any pointers on how to improve with lighting?
  • USBAdapter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Frezno! Thank you! Yeah light is a very special topic, im fairly new to lighting Environments too. But luckily, if you are using the Unreal engine there are Plenty of youtube tutorials to help you achieving the lighting you want to get. :)
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Are you using dynamic or static lights?

In your interior shots all your objects look to be floating because of the lack of shadows on the ground.

After a blockout is done I usually make sure the bigger pieces(floor, ceiling, wall planes) either have lightmaps(if using static lights), or my dynamic lights are properly shadowing the scene. The reason is two-fold: it's super simple to get lightmaps for large connected planar geo, and it will give you a good enough preview while you begin to add assets to the piece.

I'd also watch for scaling issues(on the interior). The pews look very small in scale next to everything else, making them hard to read what they are at first.

The exterior is looking great though. I look forward to seeing the progress!
  • USBAdapter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @heyeye Thank you for the great Feedback :D. In those screens the light is actually emitted by the Particle effect of the Candles. I made those screens to have a reference for the kind of lighting i want to achieve. So no Shadows for now since the frames drop into Oblivion^^. And yeah you are right, ill definetly have to look into the scaling of some Objects.

Again, thank you for the Feedback. Its very much appreciated.
  • USBAdapter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys! I havnt been Updating this Post as i Usually wanted to. But im pretty much done now with the Project. You can find the Screens on my ArtStation Profile. https://www.artstation.com/artist/leifgrabbert

Feel free to leave me some Feedback!