Home Technical Talk

Trying to find the best Software to model architecture

null
Offline / Send Message
SeeS null
New User here, hope I keep all the rules stright, I've already searched the forum for this and I didn't find exactly what I was searching for. Let's go with this.
So, I've been studying architecture for the last 5 years, and I've been modeling my buildings and houses with SketchUp, because it's easy intuitive and free. But last month I've made a 20 hours course of Maya, and the instructor told us about Blender, Maya, Cinema 4D, VRay, Arnold and a long etc. and after knowing all of this and coming back to SketchUp I feel like wallking on my hands, but Maya isn't a great program for architecture since you have to create shapes from polygons instead of creating new planes or lines like in SketchUp.

I've seen that in the architecture studios they ask for Rhinoceros AutoCad and Revit. I've use AutoCad for 2D works and the 3D part of the program is a pain to use. Revit is a great program for architecture, since is the international standart for BIM, but I don't know if a BIM program will be nice for just modeling and rendering architecture. And last, Rhinoceros , all the renders and infographics that I've find on the internet ate interiors with a lot of furniture and interior design, not actual buildings with volumetric constructions.

Like I've said I don't know much about modeling, what means that when I'm searching the web for software i can't tell if a program is better or not for something, or if it will be faster or better than others.

So here comes my question to an expert comunity in 3D modeling like you guys are.

What Software should I learn to model arrchitecture?

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Have you tried sites like CGArchitect for pro tips in which direction you should pursue?

Running a poll here is fruitless in terms of leveraging app x, y & z specific too your field, besides other than subjective traction...if at all. Objectively I'd suggest testing those DCC programs listed via the OP aside from the poll count. Nowadays most if not all have a trial/free version apart from Blender, which is 100% free.  

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    So what do you want from the software? If it is just 3d visualization I think Blender would fit: https://www.blender3darchitect.com/ If you want to derive floor plans or have to work from them, then an architectural oriented 3d application can save you a lot of work down the line:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQR-8_Vjz18

This forum is dedicated to game art which caters to differnt requirements. Im with sacobi on this. This is a great place for art and creation, but for someone active in real situations thats really where the similarity ends.

• JGallagher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGallagher polycounter lvl 3
    If you're working with Architecture studios you'd probably want to learn a bit of Revit, and the Revit to 3ds Max pipeline.

Learn V-Ray and/or Corona for rendering. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Revit and 3dsmax. Also, on the point of this not being an arch-vis specific forum, there is more crossover now than ever. Environment artists adopt building concepts from arch-vis and arch-vis artists are starting to dabble in UE4 and Unity.