Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Looking for critique] WIP UE4 Canyon Town Environment

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MorbidPandaUK polycounter lvl 2
For one of my university units, I've got to create an Unreal Engine 4 environment and get some feedback on it. I've decided to make a small town built around a canyon, that has some shops, some large villas, a large bridge and if I have the time, a lot of plant life too.

Due to other time consuming university units, the environment's still fairly rough at this late point in the year, and is far from where I wanted it to be, but with the few days I have left, I'd like to improve it as much as I can. If you could give any feedback or critique that would very helpful. Pointing out things like odd geometry or textures, or suggesting ways to improve the general look of the environment would be helpful, just as a few examples. Thanks!

Canyon created using the Unreal Engine 4 landscape tool

Modular shops and spline-based road

Modular bridge; supports are spline based

Modular roads (will be used for a gas station, if I have enough time)

Modular villas

Examples of modular assets within 3DSMax 1

Examples of modular assets within 3DSMax 2

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey James,

I'd throw a point of interest into the town. There's nothing which draws my eyes in. Your houses are pretty simple, they're just cubes with a pointy roof. I'd suggest giving the town character by picking an interesting architecture style and then referencing houses like that.
  • MorbidPandaUK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MorbidPandaUK polycounter lvl 2
    Hey James,

I'd throw a point of interest into the town. There's nothing which draws my eyes in. Your houses are pretty simple, they're just cubes with a pointy roof. I'd suggest giving the town character by picking an interesting architecture style and then referencing houses like that.
    Thanks for the feedback; that's a good point. I'm kind of stuck with using the inherently blocky colonial style of architecture for this project now, but I'll try and think of ways to make the houses more interesting by adding assets like balconies, lamps, signs and maybe some decals to spruce up the textures.