Home Career & Education

Animation MA vs Games Art and Design MA for a career as a game artist?

Antaires
null
Offline / Send Message
Antaires null

Basically, I'm wondering if it is better to study a 3D animation/modeling course (MA 3D Computer Animation Bournemouth) or a Games Art and Design course (Goldsmiths) to get into the game industry as an artist. I would really appreciate any advice/thoughts. 

I'm transitioning from a traditional fine art background to digital (self study at the moment) and want to get into animation/character modeling for games. It seems like Bournemouth is good for animation, but I wasn’t sure about going there to learn the games art pipeline. Whereas Goldsmiths, related to their Msc in Games programming, has good connections, plus a 3 month industry placement.  However, I was concerned about a program teaching both art and design, as I hope to really master the art side rather than an overview. I've also recently found that the MA Game Art at Uni of Hertfordshire looks great (the student work is impressive), though I haven't applied there as of yet.

I know it all really comes down to hard work put in and the end portfolio, but still I'd love to hear others thoughts on the matter.  

Replies

• BroadDaylight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BroadDaylight vertex
    No program will guarantee you certain placement into the industry. It's all dependent on your portfolio, as you know. Honestly you should be saving money self-teaching yourself through the thousands of resources available for free or cheap on the internet through places like gumroad, 3d motive, digital tutors, etc. The only schools that are prestigious enough in my opinion are Gnomon and University of Hertfordshire. 
  • Antaires
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Antaires null
    Thanks for the advice. I am using Digital Tutors now, I hadn't heard of 3D motive but the tutorials look really good, I will definitely check them out further.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    3dMotive, DigitalTutors/Pluralsight Creative, Eat3D, Gnomon, Gumroad, Youtube, GamesArtInstiture, UArtsy, CGMA... there's tonnes of places to find things for you to learn from.

Polycount has a gumroad list of tutorials you might want to check out.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Gumroad_Tutorial_List

Having done an MA without a background in Games Art myself, I would highly recommend getting on a good level with the software, pipeline and workflow before attempting to get a degree in it. I spent the first few months just trying to learn the software, and hence could not take in all of the things that the lecturers showed/told us until much later in the course. It definitely caused me a lot of stress that was not necessary, and if I would redo it now, I would try to get up to a good level before applying somewhere. 
  • Antaires
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Antaires null
    This is an excellent list, thank you.

I definitely have a lot to learn software-wise, and appreciate the advice. I am trying to learn as much as possible before the course starts, in the hopes of at least getting down the basics. Luckily, this is an exciting process all around. I have actually already applied and gotten offers, so I better work hard to get ready!
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Good luck :) 
    Keep us posted with how it goes for you!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    If you want to learn actual art skills, don't do an MA. It's far too research focused, and relies entirely on you teaching yourself the actual art part (I'm doing an MA right now). It might be better to look at BA courses instead, as they're set up specifically to teach you how to use the software, and if you attend electoral modules, or sit in on fine-art/anatomy courses etc. you can fill in other areas of relevant knowledge.