Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dark Elf Sorceress

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master

Finally got round to posing and lighting the Sorceress i made for the practice 1 module of semester A in my masters degree.

http://www.therookies.co/projects/next-gen-gaming/dark-elf-sorceress/

Definitely looking for critique on lighting/composition... as i'm terrible at that.

Replies

• Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    Adequate work, Lee!

<3

• Demomode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demomode polycounter lvl 12
    looking great _GIr
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Kashaar said:
    Adequate work, Lee!

<3

Totally adequate!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Kashaar said:
    Adequate work, Lee!

<3

lol, that compliment xD

I agree, your work is looking awesomely moderate @almighty_gir

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lotet said:
    Kashaar said:
    Adequate work, Lee!

<3

lol, that compliment xD

Quite literally the most sufficient work.
  • NickBaker1993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, the armour looks amazing, I'm very interested in how you did her hair, I'm guessing it's some geometry underneath a few layers of flat alpha textures? The topology for her body looks really good and efficient too. My only issue is with the skin texture, it looks a little flat and not quite like skin, almost like she's covered in skin coloured paint, but not to the extreme, its very subtle. Other than that, nice work, I love this piece.
  • RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor
    lotet said:
    Kashaar said:
    Adequate work, Lee!

<3

lol, that compliment xD

Stunningly competent indeed!

For realzies though, I'm really diggin' this girl - fabulous work. Any chance of seeing her in a Marmo scene file so we can check her out in a bit more detail?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Looking good, the armour looks amazing, I'm very interested in how you did her hair, I'm guessing it's some geometry underneath a few layers of flat alpha textures? The topology for her body looks really good and efficient too. My only issue is with the skin texture, it looks a little flat and not quite like skin, almost like she's covered in skin coloured paint, but not to the extreme, its very subtle. Other than that, nice work, I love this piece.
    The hair is all planes, no trickery here.

As for the skin, you're right. I've been writing my own skin substance and experimenting with it to see what kind of results i can get. I'm largely happy with it, but it definitely feels synthetic, so there's still some work to do.

lotet said:
    Kashaar said:
    Adequate work, Lee!

<3

lol, that compliment xD

Stunningly competent indeed!

For realzies though, I'm really diggin' this girl - fabulous work. Any chance of seeing her in a Marmo scene file so we can check her out in a bit more detail?
    Terrifically decent, i agree.

Sure thing, she's up on my site now, big file size though, i'll see if i can bring that down in future: http://www.crazyferretstudios.com/
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looks great man!  I have a few crits.  First off, her torso look very long...probably could be adjusted even in low poly stage to be more proportionally correct cuz right now it feels off.  For her armor, while I don't mind the design, it would be nice to have more material breakup and areas that separate.  Once you zoom out just a bit, everything just reads as solid black.  I have a few compositional crits as well.  The large rock on her base feels out of place IMO.  I assume you were just creating something that looked cool but it attracts a lot of attention and I don't really understand the relevance of having a boulder that large on her base.  Unique bases are cool but if you do one, it should serve 2 purposes, to enhance the character and to connect to him/her in some way.  If it's taking up too much screen space and detracting attention, it's too much IMO.  I usually get annoyed when people do elaborate diorama type env bases because unless it's done exceptionally well, it starts to take attention away from the character.  I'm getting off tangent since yours isn't that bad honestly, I would just scale down or remove the largest rock.  Now this is purely my opinion, but instead of squaring the gravel base, I would have it fade off instead.  Ok, composition wise, first render...too much negative space, crop it.  Second render, this one I like!  Turnaround render, that rock is killing your composition and spacing.  I have to admit, I'm a bit anal but the random spacing between her different angles drives me nuts.  I would figure out a way to even that out...maybe even just remove the base for this sheet.  Lighting isn't bad but for being a casting light source, the purple staff doesn't seem to be all that bright itself.  I would say if you are having trouble, stick to a simple 3pt lighting.  Create more contrast and hit her with a really bright rim light from behind at an angle.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good.  I find the right arm hidden behind her weakens the pose.  Hand-on-hip with elbow out or maybe the arm off to the side and back with a bent wrist maybe?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Great job, love it.
  • TudorMorris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TudorMorris polycounter
    awwwwwwww yissss
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Hey looking like a great start but I also have a  couple of crits. Satoshi already said the torso is long but the body itself is lacking the details of flesh, like SS or just overall skin color variation.  The abdominals are a bit narrow, the ribs are a bit tall, theres a silhouette change from the ribs to the abdominals that you should observe and the armpit area seems questionable, seems too low from this angle. I would definitely have sculpted the skin overlap that happens from the pectoralis to the deltoid area, you know what im talking about. Also, I agree with the material breakup. Take a loooong hard look at the roughness map that you have and check to see if you have enough variation in it. If not, that's a good place to start giving it a lot of break up. In the land of PBR, roughness is king. Have a lot of variation according to the pieces. There are also opportunities for the face to look more believable, cuz now im looking at it, its missing some secondary details like forms surrounding the eyes, nasolabial folds, the glabella's plane change, those subtle but necessary supraciliary arches, etc. The overall silhouette also has places that could use more love.
    I think the hair looks great! A bit of variation on it and it'll look even better. I can see you put a lot of details in the chains and cloth, which is good, but lets that show off more a little bit, by making them more noticeable but subtle. I say keep it up man, and keep practicing and noticing how to push your craft even more. Good luck.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hey Slosh, Garriola,

Great crits from you both. thanks.

I'm probably not likely to come back to this any time soon (too much to do, so little time.. ugh). But i feel like i should let you know why i made certain design decisions. Looking at it now, i definitely see what you're talking about with materials and how they blend together at a distance. I'll try to make sure trims are a bit bolder in the future.

As for the face and torso shapes. As briefly mentioned, this was a 3 week project (which ran alongside various other essays and freelance work so... fml lol), called "Memories and Nostalgia", one of the practice modules for the MA degree i'm currently doing. The character is essentially a remake of one of the characters i used to play in Warhammer Online.

Image result for warhammer online sorceress

Along with the in-game design being the main visual reference i used (i even went so far as downloading the client and running it on the only known private server the game has... which is actually pretty bitchin', they've managed to get almost the entire game up and running again!) I also have... a LOT of warhammer armybooks and novels to fall back on. And there are several traits that the elves all share:

Long of body, thin of waist. Faces alien and beautiful.

I'm always questioning myself (and probably rightly so) when it comes to making "beautiful faces". because it's an incredibly subjective thing. I initially wanted to really push her features further into alien territory, similar to the way the army books often depict elves:
    Image result for warhammer high elf artwork

But i found that it was really difficult to do this and keep her looking pretty. The further into those hawklike features, long face, almond shaped eyes that i went, the more difficult it became. So i pulled her back to a more human form, but tried to keep some of those qualities that made her look a little... "off". But i definitely took the body proportions to heart and tried to keep them as close to the originals as possible.

The skin has been an interesting challenge. As mentioned before, i've been trying to come up with a procedural skin substance, i've used it on two models now, with varying results. I'm going to continue to push that direction until i can at least get a solid base (which i feel it's close to). But you're right, it definitely can't be used on it's own, without manual tweaking.

Thank you both for the feedback, i want you to know it's not ignored.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    man whenever someone answers well thought out critique with a lengthy explanation, that defends their work, they always comes off as unreceptible to critique. your whole explanation is superfluous, it would be better if it simply was "yes cool feedback, ill have it in mind when i get back to this".

now, i respect you Gir, and im actually pretty convinced that you take these excellent points to heart. but you are essentially riding of your good name here on the forums, if a first time poster answered in the same manner, it would have been viewed as defensive.

now please dont be offended by this, i just wanted to point out that you did two of the cardinal sins in critique receiving;
    1. saying you are not going to work anymore on this.
    2. offering a explanation, giving the feeling that you are satisfied with the current state of your work.

these two is really off putting when someone is deciding if its worth writing a critique giving post. and it seems like you basically know this since you write "i want you to know it's not ignored".

anyway, eventhough i agree with the critique, i think the character looks cool, so keep up the good work and all that! i really dont want to come of as hostile in this post, just offering my perspective. if you dont agree, feel free to ignore it :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Thing is... i do totally agree with the critique. But this character was "done" two months ago. Going back to work on it now would take time and effort away from what i'm currently working on. I'm not entirely happy with her, there are things i'd change if i made her again. And the critique isn't ignored, it's never ignored... i've always rolled critique into the next piece of work.

In fact, i'm pretty sure Slosh would back me up on that one, as he's witnessed it.

Maybe you're right, maybe that post does come across that i don't accept what they're saying. If that's the case, i'm sorry. That's not my intent at all. I just prefer dialogue to ignorance... If i'd not replied to them at all, i'd have felt bad, because i thought it worth recognizing how good their feedback is.

edit: i do frequently tell people, by the way: "Don't be like me...".
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    one of the uni second year students @Avcat is doing a cool walk cycle!

The cloth has apex physics in UE4, which is why they're clipping through the legs in maya.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    man whenever someone answers well thought out critique with a lengthy explanation, that defends their work, they always comes off as unreceptible to critique. your whole explanation is superfluous, it would be better if it simply was "yes cool feedback, ill have it in mind when i get back to this".

now, i respect you Gir, and im actually pretty convinced that you take these excellent points to heart. but you are essentially riding of your good name here on the forums, if a first time poster answered in the same manner, it would have been viewed as defensive.

now please dont be offended by this, i just wanted to point out that you did two of the cardinal sins in critique receiving;
    2. offering a explanation, giving the feeling that you are satisfied with the current state of your work.

these two is really off putting when someone is deciding if its worth writing a critique giving post. and it seems like you basically know this since you write "i want you to know it's not ignored".

anyway, eventhough i agree with the critique, i think the character looks cool, so keep up the good work and all that! i really dont want to come of as hostile in this post, just offering my perspective. if you dont agree, feel free to ignore it :)
    Not to be a stick in the mud but I have to disagree with this.
    To me, when someone vigorously defends the design choices they made, it shows that they have actually thought about the process through to its entirety and they have spent the time to explain why they did things they way they did. That's 100% better than just pretending to agree with what they said and then not implementing the recommendations.
    If the same comments were coming from a first time poster then yes, it could have been viewed as possibly defensive, but Lee's been on here for 12 years or something stupid, so his comments have a certain amount of weight behind them as we know he isn't a n00b.

Having said all that, I think Lee actually got the proportions pretty spot on when you check the concept art from Warhammer Online and FMV trailer for it.

ofc, camera angles and such shenanigans will change the proportions somewhat, but as others have said the work is sufficiently tolerable in its adequacy. 
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    would def. like to see you come back to this
    feel like you could def. push it a bit more
  • Cristian_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cristian_P polycounter lvl 2
    Great job, Gir!  I also like your sorceress very much.  I'm no expert on Warhammer, so thanks for shedding some light on the anatomy of elves in that particular franchise.  If you hadn't done that, I would have agreed completely with Slosh.  We quickly jump to critique tough girls in skimpy clothes since that popular department often seems to suffer from anatomical mistakes.  But I second Andy's comments, it does look like you really worked consciously on the anatomy and proportions.

Sze Jones' original cinematic model is fantastic in all aspects, especially the skin shader.  Yet I like yours a lot more because of that subtle alien / non-human vibe it gives.  I also love that it's a lower poly model that still captures a lot of gesture and grace.  Overall, I think it's a successful piece for the amount of time put in.  If you ever decide to push the whole piece further at some point, the comments here do give some good ideas.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator

I'm not sure thats a rule I've ever heard. You cant work on something forever, and you shouldn't. This is where "finished, not perfect", comes from, and its good advice. 
  • RocketBryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RocketBryan polycount sponsor

I mean...what are you supposed to say when you receive a huge amount of feedback for a project that's already finished? I'm genuinely curious.  :|

I'm personally a fan of the fix what you can, apply the rest to what's next philosophy. Otherwise you can quite easily get bogged down noodling details, something can actually inhibit growth by losing sight of the larger goal. Always keep moving forward!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Having said all that, I think Lee actually got the proportions pretty spot on when you check the concept art from Warhammer Online and FMV trailer for it.

ofc, camera angles and such shenanigans will change the proportions somewhat, but as others have said the work is sufficiently tolerable in its adequacy. 

I'm going to have to agree to disagree.  While Lee is close, the location of the breasts makes his torso feel inaccurate IMO.  Also, the shoulder position is different.  I'm not saying he's completely off but the 2 on the right look more proportionally correct to me.  That being said, I'm not offended that Lee is no longer going to work on this at all.  His stuff continues to improve and it's because he does take these crits to heart.  I do think he could make these pieces slightly stronger by heeding feedback during the creation though.  Of course, I also understand the time constraint he probably has during his studies and how it can prevent him from the luxury of feedback on the forums.  Character still looks great!  Although even just fixing some of the presentation sheets could go a long way IMO...hint, hint...

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

Walk cycle test in UE4 =]

Again, i suck at lighting :p
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    That hip movement =X
    I'm not an animator so I am not quite qualified in commenting in it. But her knees/legs feel stiff and her hip movement isn't quite as natural as I'd like to see it. 

looks good though otherwise
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Hot knee, cold knee, hot knee, cold knee, hot knee, cold knee...

It's getting there for sure, but I agree that the hips are a bit unnatural...maybe even a little serpentine.

I would probably look at some catwalk ref for the walk cycle a bit.

General ref:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxULs-R7Jl4

Side ref:
    https://youtu.be/2sHiaMq5a1g?t=49s

Also, though not directly linked to the walk, I would alter the ground speed for the next video. ATM shes moonwalking a bit. :)