Home Technical Talk

Nice Topology question for problem

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys

i search for better my modeling technique, about topology.
I have some doubt for a topology on piece that have a curve lines, smooth hard surface.

i have this to Retopology. What QUAD MODELING TOPOLOGY is correct for a piece like this? 
You can draw on imae if you want. Software BLENDER

This is the SIDE VIEW, see that curve? how can i create a correct topology on a hard surface piece?

Replies

• Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    Dawn  :# i can't solve this geometry problem..... :o:o

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    model the silhouette and do an inset, then extrude and add support loops to the extruded part
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    "INSERT" you talk about a internal extrusion? i'm not understain.
    in BLENDER 
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    like this ? 

start from external, towards the inside of the geometry?
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    sorry, i overlooked that you are trying to retopo
    but you can use this as a base, and then it really depends on the polycount you are aiming for
    i would bevel the edge and remove every vertex that does not add to the silhouette

if this thing does not get deformed by an animation, the topology on the flat surfaces does not really matter that much, so just remove everything that does not add to the silhouette, no need to keep everything in quads
    avoid having long thin triangles though
  • Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    No, i'm sorry to you , because i don't tell you that these are exercises to improve my topology, and to become good in the quad topology. :)
    using blender to model, I never learned to use a topology into triangles, so you do not even know how to unwrap.
    The "goal" is to improve my topology in order to always have a retopo and an always clean unwrap, for all (organic and hard) my model.
    i want to learn how to model ALWAYS . ;) 

Imade it, at last! :D 1 h. of try!!  :s

I think is a correct topology, the subsurf don't give artifacts, the edges They are flowing in a circular manner, and i can add the loops for hard the edges without problem. So is work fine.

This is a correct topology? Is clean?
    ty!!

• Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i think you have a misunderstanding here

for subd modeling you want to have a good topology for subdiving, but this is uasually for your highpoly model which only serves for baking your maps out
    retopo means to create a lowpoly model, which is the actual model used in the engine later on
    since the lowpoly model does not get subdivided, you don't need to have all quads and clean loops
    usually you want to cut down all polygons that dont add to the silhouette here (special cases ; animation, tesselation...)

so i guess what you want to know i how to do subd modeling
    so best start from zero

this video gives you a pretty good insight in how to start out

and then take a look at this thread, which is kinda dedicated to this stuff
    http://polycount.com/discussion/56014/how-the-f-do-i-model-this-reply-for-help-with-specific-shapes-post-attempt-before-asking/p1

• Gikkio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8
    ok!
     The fact is that I have always seen tutorials in English, especially spoken, so I never got it.:)
    but i know the hard surface. Sorry is my bad ENG.

The model that you see up, is not a model. Is a simple curve convert in mesh, but only to show you the form that i need to model. 
    To make a screenshot, for ask here " ok guys what topology i use now". 

The question is how I model that piece I posted? what hard surface technique i need to use to high poly model that piece? 

I tank about RETOPO but is not a real retopo is a new modeling of the piece that i have made for sohow it in tis forum (with curve). 
    sorry for that.