Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Grandpap - Mind Your P's and Q's

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jderiggi polycounter lvl 9
Hey all. Here is a wip of a new character, my grandpap. Among his many words of advice, he would always tell us to "mind our p's and q's," which I will never forget. I was inspired by the character art of Dishonored as well, which you can see here: some great realistic sculpting of anatomy, but with an exaggerated style in the proportions.

The sculpt is still in the blocking stage, but here's what I have so far, along with some of the references I'm using as well. Any thoughts are appreciated as I continue to work on this. Thanks very much!

John

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are his pant legs so short? Take a look at the first references; they should reach the top of his shoes. (BTW, the high-waist thing isn't an old-person thing as much as an old-style thing; take a look at images from the 40s and you'll notice they all wore their pants with a much higher waist.)

The posture seems a bit off, with the spine a bit too straight overall and the neck angling too far forward. The right profile reference shot also shows a smoother transition from his skull to the back of his neck.

His legs are a bit too long. Overlaying the model with the reference shows that the crotch and waist are a few inches too high - this probably explains half the difference. Lowering the waist & crotch by 2-3 inches and raising the foot by a similar amount should work.
  • Maffew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maffew polycounter lvl 8
    Grandad looks great. I Love that he's T-posed for you!
    I agree with the above regarding the pant length but I quite like the high waisted trousers. I think it works well for the style of sculpt.

:thumbup:
  • jderiggi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker: Thanks for the feedback! I made his limbs a little longer/more exaggerated originally as I was taking inspiration from the characters in the game Dishonored, which you can see an example of here. Your point about a higher waistline is accurate too. I simply wanted to exaggerate it as well, but I did adjust the pants to hit his shoes like in the reference. I may make the crotch a little lower too as I get into sculpting the various hanging folds and wrinkles of the pants. I adjusted the skull profile a bit too.

Maffew: Thanks! Yeah he was all about the reference photos:)

Here is a slightly updated image with pretty completed blocking and rough accessories like the eyeglass case, shoes, and glasses. Thanks again for any thoughts!

John
  • jderiggi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally revisiting this project of my grandfather after a loooong hiatus. Shifted to a realistic likeness study instead of a stylized full character piece. Primary form progress below in a quick Keyshot render. I also added my notes for upcoming changes to make after letting this latest progress sink in today. Photo ref attached as well. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

John

Ref

Notes!