Home Technical Talk

(3DS MAX) Smoothing group error

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
This problem has been plaguing me with a while and I simply can't get my head around it. The problem lies with models that I (or a coworker) may have created a number of months ago. When the assets is re-opened I get these horrible shading errors when I try to edit the mesh. I'm trying to retopologize but when I get to a certain level or if I undo something it breaks all the smoothing. 

More info: This model has been skinned but now has the skin modifier removed. Not sure if other models with this problem have been skinned.
It would have been passed around the office at various times between different people and in different versions of Max.
I've tried adding it as an element to a box then deleting the box.
I thought it was vertex colours but vertex painting doesn't help.

Really stuck here as this assets badly needs to be retopologized.

First image is the problem, second image is what it should look like without the problem!

Replies

• Crimzan
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan polycounter lvl 9
    I had this problem a few times too.
    When there really are no overlapping vertices, I usually slap an Edit Poly Modifier on top of it, and give it all just one smoothing group (or Auto-Smooth it with a specific value that fits best). Usually, nothing changes then, so I add yet another Edit Poly Modifier on top. This somehow takes the normals I set up in the first Edit Poly modifier.
    Sometimes it does help converting it back to an Editable Poly after this.

This worked for me all the time. I can't explain why, I think somebody else might be able to do it though.
    I don't know if this does fix the issue for you, but I think it won't hurt to try! Just wanted to give it a shot as quickly as I can :3
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    happens a fair amount. Try an STL Check, or simple Turn To Poly should sort you out
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Classic max bug, above fixes usually work for me
  • thegreyman1
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan said:
    I had this problem a few times too.
    When there really are no overlapping vertices, I usually slap an Edit Poly Modifier on top of it, and give it all just one smoothing group (or Auto-Smooth it with a specific value that fits best). Usually, nothing changes then, so I add yet another Edit Poly Modifier on top. This somehow takes the normals I set up in the first Edit Poly modifier.
    Sometimes it does help converting it back to an Editable Poly after this.

This worked for me all the time. I can't explain why, I think somebody else might be able to do it though.
    I don't know if this does fix the issue for you, but I think it won't hurt to try! Just wanted to give it a shot as quickly as I can :3
    danr said:
    happens a fair amount. Try an STL Check, or simple Turn To Poly should sort you out
    Thanks gents, so both adding an edit poly modifier and STL check fix the weird shading issue but they both completely get rid of my smoothing groups. Which is quite a big issue as I have a baked normals that need to be applied to the in-game asset. And the model is quite complicated so going back and editing them again by hand really isn't an option. 

Is there any way to save smoothing groups to transfer from one model to another? I actually may be able to work around this, I have a plugin that applies smoothing groups based on UV island which is the way I had my old groups set anyway.

Also, it's worth pointing out that when I re-opened this model lately all of the smoothing groups in the edit poly rollout were blank. Even though it clearly had the correct groups applied in the viewport.
  • thegreyman1
    Offline / Send Message
    So I basically added an edit poly modifier, then used textools Smoothing Groups from UV Shells function to reset my smoothing groups. They're not exactly as I had them but close enough to go and edit later
  • Mirbobo
    IIRC copying the model into a new object in element mode keeps your smoothing groups and fixes the shading.