Home Technical Talk

[Maya] XGen AO Baking & Mental Ray

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
So I'm trying to generate hair textures from Xgen renders using mental ray in Maya 2017 and am running into some problems. Has anyone tried baking AO and the results are coming plain white? I'm trying to play with the AO Max Distance slider in the mental ray Render settings (falloff mode set to Quadratic), but I can't get it to show me some delicious shadows. 

Has anyone tried anything like this? Any suggestions? 

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    have you tried to convert the xgen groom to poly..?
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I render the AO using the legacy render passes for mental ray. You should be able to activate them through the plugin manager.

Edit: I checked with the setting in my scene and the 'AO Max Distance' is at 6.33 - not sure if this is standard or I changed it. I know I had the issue previously, but I can't remember if I did change anything except checking the passes in the scene that I used in the end. Oh and I've been using splines not extra converted to geo with the xGen_Hair shader.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Biomag Are you referring to the render passes found in Render Settings>Scene>Passes? Thanks for checking the value you were using, though unfortunately that didn't do it for me. I'm increasing by 10s with the quality set to 0.1 for fast previews, but no matter the value it's all just plain white. 

@oglu Would be nice to get the AO just by rendering and avoid any inconsistencies created when converting to poly, but I might have to resort to that if all else fails.

Curiously enough, a few pixels are painted in the center of the screen. I wonder if this has to do with my unit system , even though my scene is set to default (centimeters). 

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Hey Justo,

here all my 3 settings - quality, the scenes-screen with the AO max distance and the render passes screen. For that passes-screen you need to go to the plug-in manager. I am not sure you would need the other settings once you get the render passes and select the AO pass to be rendered.

Sorry, I wish I would be more certain with my answers, but I only set it up once so far and I was kinda messy getting there, but this should still be solving your issue.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Biomag Well dang, that did it! Thanks biomag. It was all about that Legacy Passes tab, which is found in the Preferences window under Rendering, by the way. 

Still, I admit not really knowing what just happened, I just copied your setup in the Passes tab. I also suspect enabling ambient occlusion in the Scene tab doesn't affect anything, since in my render view now two passes are displayed: AO (I assume this one being the one set up in the Passes Tab) and ambient_occlusion (setup in Scene tab). the ambient_occlusion one still looks plain white, but that's not an issue given I was able to obtain the pass from another place.

Could you briefly explain what's going on in this Passes tab? Are these "shadow" and "shadowRaw" linked to the AO pass? I added the AO, clicked the down arrow, then added shadow and shadowRaw. 

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Ah, sorry for putting you on the wrong path by saying it was in the plugin manager :(

I am also not completely sure how all those settings for Mental Ray are interconnected and why the passes work out of the box without issues. I must admit except some basic lessons from school I never bothered too much with rendering in Maya. In any case you can ignore shadow and shadowRaw. This seems to be rather a short list where you can keep your passes for quick selection before rendering. I for example don't render AO each time because it is so slow. I only rendered it once I had the final shape for the hair, while I might tried different color renderings. I haven't used shadow and shadowRaw in the end, I had them there just in case, so you can skip them and just get the AO pass.

As far as I know the passes tab is just some standardized version of those passes that you could set up manually with rendering layers. But I also didn't get a very in depth explanation back in school for this, so better ask someone who knows his stuff XD