Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Starting my portfolio

OddRob
null
Offline / Send Message
OddRob null
Hello there.
So, I graduated on Game Art a little over a year ago, with a focus on Animation. Since then, I have not done anything at all in terms of 3D Animation, since the only projects I've been involved with are 2D games - not too bad a thing, since I learned to use Spine. Anyhow, I think it is time I start to gather a portfolio, so I'm posting 2 animations from my Bachelor's final portfolio, and I'd really appreciate some critique on it.
Here is the link for the animations, than you!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/136097#156352

Replies

• AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth

The good news is that animations skills are animation skills not matter what, so the transfer to 3d hopefully won't be to difficult!

I only have time to critique one animation currently so I'll pick the spell cast animation since it has some nice potential. You have a nice start. If you're comfortable with 2d animation you can view 3d animation in the same way because when you playblast it to a camera it becomes 2d.

I'd first recommend focusing on strong poses. Really get the whole body involved in the motion.

F1-11 The hips are quite static here. Give them life by having him rock forward then back in a big anticipation at f18. (I made some notes in Synchsketch for hips)

F1-30 Because the arms are a large center of attention focus on getting some nice arcs in there.

F20-33 Since this is the spell cast action give it a lot of energy. Make it snappy with a large burst forward and hit a really strong pose at the moment of the cast. Depending on the frame rate you're animating at try to have this motion occur in ~5 frames.

F33 This is a great opportunity to show of your 2d animation skills and make a strong pose. Focus on the silhouette, make it readable and dynamic since this is the climax of the scene.

F33-52 His body can overshoot this pose and settle back. The overshoot will sell how powerful the spell is and the energy he is using to cast it.

F75-90 Returning to idle is good, be sure to watch his center of gravity and keep balance. A good practice (when possible) is to film yourself as reference or at the very least act it out. Pay attention to where your weight is based on your foot position. Have him shift his weight further over his right leg as he pulls his left leg underneath him.

Hopefully this helps!

• OddRob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OddRob null
    Indeed it does, thanks!!!