Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - medieval house from modular parts

vberd
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
vberd polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone.
Please read my WIP story, the most interesting and result in the end, but at first I want to tell you and show the intermediate result.
It's my new personal project "Lowpoly modular parts to create different medieval houses", PBR textures 1k px for "modular parts", 512px for plants, 256px for decals. As a reference I took the house from Diablo 3 (by the way is a great game, if you do not played it take my advice - PLAY IT )) )

I started by creating a lowpoly base parts (wall, door, windows, planar roof and cylindrical roof, wooden beams, bricks) in the 3ds max. Then
into ZBrush added details, retopology, UV, and baked it in xNormal (for me it better baker, new Marmoset good baker but have some bugs, Substance Painter also good but also have some bugs). So in that step I had clear normal map (without details from albedo), and in this point I started learn Substance Painter (yea, yea, I am Australopithecus... also I don't use Instagram). And I liked generators. But I like "live textures", so in the work I use Coat often, because I can add real and unique detail without problems, but it's take a long time to do a perfect result. In the Substance Painter everything looks the same ;( mask generator creates the same mask (by the cavity-huyavity, Russian people understand it ;) ), and a small part of the artists change the mask and add "unique" details. So show begun and I start create textures, but everything looks the same ;( (yes I use different parameters, I use additional textures, but algorithm was the same and result was the very similar), and then I started think "how can I do it in the 3dcoat" and I like the new result.

Don't beat me... but it's the first result... I hate it's result...

And new result is... drumroll...

and modular parts

In that moment I understood that my house is too flat... I added new details in geometry, changed the bushes, slightly change textures, and new_v2 result is (polycount 4500 tris):

I glad to see result, but it I need more... and new_v3 result is:

I glad to see the NEW result, because I can create different houses, using modular parts with texture just 1k and have interesting result. New_v4 is coming... in a few days you will see the result

Replies

• Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the finished house, that's looking really nice. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of your scene turns out :smile:

Since you were mentioning substance painter, to get the most from that you need to go beyond using the generators a lot of the time and fine tune the alphas (by hand painting usually!) then things start looking awesome.
  • vberd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vberd polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the finished house, that's looking really nice. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of your scene turns out :smile:

Since you were mentioning substance painter, to get the most from that you need to go beyond using the generators a lot of the time and fine tune the alphas (by hand painting usually!) then things start looking awesome.
    Thanks ;)

I had finished it, more at my artstation and gumroad

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    This turned out pretty fucking good. You should hop in substance designer now and get started on a cobblestone floor.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    PNGs :(

They load foreveeeeer...