Home Technical Talk

arrimus 3d tutorials

polygon
Offline / Send Message
yukonwanderer polygon
As a newb I'm finding these tutorials extremely helpful (only on #11 though). Seems like he really knows his shit. Just want to confirm that he actually does know his shit before I expose myself to too much of it.  He's great right?

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, Arrimus is legit.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    to be honest, he is pretty good to learn from and his tutorials are great place to learn a lot of the fundamentals and plus its free education :)
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I learned a ton from him, yet as someone newish to modelling, i don't have much to compare it to either. He uses some of the graphite modelling tools, but not all, but they only came out a few years ago. I went through most of the models he did along with him, eventually i started sections of the model first, then reviewing what Arrimus did which i found helpful because he would then either show me a different way or show me how i screwed up which was a great way to learn because it involved a "crap, so thats how its done" emotional component, which i don't get from just watching the videos as I find the information just goes right in and right out...  He does use the same overall techniques frequently for the most part, a good thing in my opinion because it help reinforce the information. One thing he recently started doing was using smoothing groups to form edges with turbosmooth, giving a edge that is too sharp IMO, however you can do these sections differently that he if you wish, i did. Mightybake is offering a way to soften sharp edges now,  and afaik there may be many other ways now.

If you compared it to what i learned in an 8 month course in general 3DS max use, i learned almost nothing useful in that 8 months and almost everything from Arrimus, one of many people on my list to donate to once i finally begin to make some money doing this. I'd highly recommend configuring the hotkeys to your liking so you don't have to move your hand to use them and also keep a backed up log of your changes and also the keyboard settings so you only have to change/learn that once.

I used VLC player to quickly navigate the videos, and paused and minimized the video with spacebar and left mouse wheel button. That helped me, but its not a big deal.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Arrimus is awesome. When I switched over for max for my last job his tutorials were invaluable. A lot of cool techniques that other (paid) tutorials don't cover. 
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    That's how I am learning high poly modeling :=) .
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    I have not watched much of his Zbrush stuff but as a Max user I've picked a lot of useful techniques watching his videos. And you can tell he's staying up-to-date on with what's going on in the community, for instance recently he had a three part series based on Ben Bolton's proboolean/zbrush workflow pres here on Polycount (with proper credits too). I thought it complemented it nicely.
  • yukonwanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yukonwanderer polygon
    @Thane- wow that's crazy that you learned more from him than 8 months of school. I was thinking of enrolling in Seneca college or George Brown here in Toronto. Maybe not worth it?  Plus thanks for the tip - trying out the models first then seeing what he does. I'm gonna try that method too.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I honestly think there "can be" value in school, but i think a lot of factors can really make the experience pretty meh. I remember my instructor was only vaguely familiar with the Cap function in Max and didn't know some other basic ones.  After one 10 minute modelling tutorial on youtube, i learned so many basic Max functions that i'm not sure the instructor even new about. Maybe he had come from another program like Maya. Following Arrimus's vids for example, for modelling specifically, made the experience look like kindergarten. That said, this was a general 3D course i took, i had like 10 whole minutes of introductory Zbrush use, lots of very animation techniques, basic texturing, basic terrain formation/painting (in Max). Seeing that was all great and even fun at times, but if you are a proactive person you can find this all on youtube. My course was only 2 days a weeks with homework. However, i wouldn't be surprised if you got a lot out of it, but i would do my research about the program first. There are a lot of similar questions on polycount with lots of feedback.

Edited for clarity

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I must say that also watching some timelapse modeling  ( when they do not hide the commands ) ae very usefull.
  • yukonwanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yukonwanderer polygon
    NAIMA said:
    I must say that also watching some timelapse modeling  ( when they do not hide the commands ) ae very usefull.
    Too fast for me still! Lol
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, his tutorials are excellent, it really helped me step up my game in max and explore zbrush as an extension of hard surface modeling.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    Yes, his channel is very good.
  • NicholasJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicholasJ null
    I too just started learning modeling and have been following arrimus as my main guide. My big question is do I still need to go to school or can I learn everything on my own? Trying to learn to draw as well as model and I'm finding that sometimes I feel I need some direction to get into everything in an efficient manner. If one were to go to school are there any suggestions where?
  • Edhem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edhem null
    He knows what he is doing 300%. Maybe in some cases I have different approach, but he is really good guy.
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    The amount of information in his channel is amazing. Most of the hard-surface techniques I use today came from his tutorials. There's always something new to learn in each video.