Home Technical Talk

Rock modelling question

I'm just getting started modelling rocks in Zbrush (pretty new to Zbrush in general).

I'm looking at lots of references of rocks people have sculpted, and there's one thing people are doing which I can't figure out. Here is a couple of example images:

The parts circled in red feel like they have been 'pulled out' of the sculpt in some way, to create these nice, stepped effects. I have been trying various approaches to this: I've tried masking off a section and then using the move tool to pull out shapes, I've tried masking and then using clay buildup, I've tried using clip tools to cut away, etc. In every case, the transition does not seem like proper geometry, and I can't seem to figure out how to dynamesh it right.

What is the correct technique for something like this?

Also, can anyone recommend a good tutorial for sculpting rocks in Zbrush? I've found a couple of Youtube which weren't that great. Ultimately, I want to create something like this:

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I actually often just lasso mask and pull out (Move brush with ALT).
    Or using transpose move, holding alt, and dragging the last dot, if the surface should be curved.
    You can eventually sharpen the mask first, if you want a sharper line.
    Then hammer it wth the TrimSmoothBorder.

Does that help in any way?
    Can we see an example of what results you get?
  • kinkersnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for your answers.

So I've been trying out using the lasso mask + move brush, but I'm still confused about the best approach towards dealing with the new edge area that's created by doing this. For example:

What is the best way to deal with this stretched area? Because it responds either badly or not at all to brushes in this state. For the faceted look in the above rock I've been using the planar brush, and when I try to use it on that edge area, it either does nothing, or behaves in a totally different (and horrible) way than it does previously. Of course, the geometry has been stretched, so that makes sense, but I just don't know what the best way to add geometry back to that new area is. Dynamesh?

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Dynamesh?

That's what I'd do... it's a rock, base topology isn't all that important.
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    Make 2 to 3 smaller modular rocks, arrange them using insert mesh brush to get the result after that u can add some polish using the trim brushes or some other hard surface brush.