Home Technical Talk

(Zbrush) Is there a way to Whittle?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Jaykrass polycounter lvl 6
So far it seems like Zbrush is all about sculpting, but what about Whittling?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jaykrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're whittling away my patience does that count?

Abuse? :expressionless:  Looking over the threads you've started I'm not convinced you've ever opened zbrush.

A project of mine I had worked on recently, I know how to use Zbrush at a moderate level; and I'm sorry my incessant (December) nagging and questioning gets on your nerves.

See those chisel marks? that's what I want to achieve in Zbrush, sadly, many of the brushes I've tried can't/wont do this, some like H-polish get close but just end up flattening out the surface.

Example: Using the Clip curve tool gives me what I "want" but I want to know if there is a way I can make or use a certain brush a certain way to achieve the same result.
    Clip Curve
    VS
    H-polish (as I try to make a nicely curved angle like in the first image, I end up digging into the mesh and flattening instead of curving. Note: the reason I'm using H-Polish is because someone else suggested I use it.)

As for Abuse, "You're whittling away my patience does that count?" is not a productive way to help someone try to figure out an answer/resolution to how to do something/achieve their goal. It's also frankly rude, this part of the forums is supposed to be helpful and informative, not a place to make passive insults. If you lack the patience, welp *shrugs* that's not my problem.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jaykrass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I'll looking into morph targeting more, why trim dynamic exactly?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Jaykrass said:
    why trim dynamic exactly?
    When I began using ZB I often made the mistake of asking exactly what brush to use. This simply can not be discussed when it comes to ZB brush 'feel'. The best thing to do is find out by experimenting. A lot of the trim/polish brushes need practice to get a 'feel' for the brush. So just get in there and sculpt with trimdynamic and experience it yourself.

It also helps if you know a little about the brush engine and why certain brushes behave the way they do. A lot of brushes are just the basic clay brush with tweaked settings or a different alpha.

As for the whittling(your sculpt that is, not Teriyaki's patience) you're on the right track with the clay/trim/polish brushes. There are extra brushes to try out in lightbox too, don't forget. The thing is it just takes a lot of patience and finessing when sculpting forms like the ones you posted. There's no brush that'll just magically do the work with little sculpting effort/ability.

Also, get used to alternating between add/sub with the alt modifier key when using trim/polish brushes for some interesting results.