Home Technical Talk

Maya Saving and Exporting Issue

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
I'm using Maya as a means to clean up my UV maps and to group models in preparation for baking within Substance Painter. Every time I upload a high decimated mesh and attempt to save or export the mesh from Maya, I get the spinning wheel of doom on my Mac and it persists for over 10 minutes. When I saved, my project wouldn't save and then my file became corrupted. The high poly mesh is around 350,000 polygons. I don't think that's too many polygons for Maya to handle even on my outdated Mac from 2011. I haven't experienced this issue all that often. If anyone has a solution to this issue, please let me know! Thanks.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, that's abnormal. Are you building up a long construction history and never deleting it? Edit>delete all by type>history.
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, I've deleted the history. I don't know if I'm dealing with clipping issues and if that's relating to the crashes. Right now I'm making tweaks to a boot I've made and I noticed that the inner boot polygons are close to the outer boot polygons. My old model high-res boot was around 700,000 polygons.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to ask what version of Maya. And just to check: when you say upload, are you saving the file to a local drive or somewhere on a network? Either way, try saving to a new file in a different location?

The inner/outer thing shouldn't be a problem unless you mass-welded and created some non-manifold joins. Try Mesh>Cleanup to fix general badness. Without seeing what's up, I don't have much to go on for specifics, You may want to try splitting the boot into separate meshes and see how that goes. The generic Maya mesh troubleshooting generally looks like, I hope something helps. I listed some extras that don't really apply here, but hey.

*Clean; also look for collapsed faces or stray edges.
    *Combine with a new cube; select the cube first, then the problem mesh.
    *Export to obj and back.
    *Separate into parts.
    *Reapply a single material.
    *Conform Normals.
    *Check UV Sets, Transforms, smooth mesh for bad subd or odd selection patterns.
    *Save as .ma and scan around it in a text editor.