Home Technical Talk

Building my first PC, not turning on!

3Dash92
vertex
Offline / Send Message
3Dash92 vertex
Hello, I really need some help I've almost finished building my first PC however I'm struggling with the front I/O connectors 

I have a power SW and reset SW and HD LED +/- and I can't figure out where/ which way they go

Replies

• 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Just to make sure I think I've done everything else right, followed manual and videoes

CPU, CPU fan, RAM, Graphics card, Optical drive, motherboard, HDD, SSD, PSU and second fan placed in and connected.

Pretty sure everything else is wired up correctly, does the HDD connect to the motherboard or only PSU?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Main concern is the power and reset switch on the manual show one slot while the cable will take two slots 
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    They have 2, because one is the ground, GND.

Check if the motherboard is powered, the cable should look like this:

The various disks need power from the PSU and a SATA cable going to the motherboard to work.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    3Dash92 said:
    Pretty sure everything else is wired up correctly, does the HDD connect to the motherboard or only PSU?
    You have a sata data cable, which goes to the HDD from the motherboard:

And the sata power cable, coming from the PSU

You say that there is only 1 pin, but I think that the "GND" pin next to it will be what you plug into also - this simpy stands for "ground" as it grounds the connection.
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Yes that cable is in correctly

So do the power/reset switch go horizontal or vertical? Should they go in as they are displayed? 
    I'm trying different ways as we speak

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The motherboard doesn't help, but usually this is the correct orientation:

This looks like what you have in your motherboard
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Okay HDD and SSD both connected to motherboard and PSU (peripheral - IDE/SATA) section

Motherboard connected to PSU (M/B) section 

graphics card connected to motherboard and PSU (CPU/PCI - E) section 

Don't know what I'm missing 
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    SonicBlue said:
    The motherboard doesn't help, but usually this is the correct orientation:

This looks like what you have in your motherboard
    That look exactly right but my switches and HDD LED don't specify which is +/-
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be some kind of marking on the black plastic, which tells you the polarity of the wire, if not, check the case manual, if there are any.

Even if the PC doesn't turn on, did you see some LEDs light up on the motherboard?

Check if the PSU switch is set to ON, just in case.
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    SonicBlue said:
    There should be some kind of marking on the black plastic, which tells you the polarity of the wire, if not, check the case manual, if there are any.

Even if the PC doesn't turn on, did you see some LEDs light up on the motherboard?

Check if the PSU switch is set to ON, just in case.
    There is a small arrow that is all, no LEDs lighting up at all and PSU switch is 100% on
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Also be sure your PSU has the switch on the back turned on.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The white wire is usually negative/ground (or has been in my experience). From what I've read It shouldn't matter which way you plug in the power/reset switches as long as they are in the right spot.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it still doesn't work, disconnect everything and try following a guide checking that all the necessary cables/wires are connected, otherwise it could be a defective component.
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Okay I'll post a few pics and explain what I've done let me know of anything is off 

SSD and HDD connected with the same wire to PSU and connected to motherboard 

PSU connected to motherboard, under it is USB 3 connection and under that are both SSD/HDD connections 

PSU connects from left to right -

motherboard connection, graphics card connection (bottom), HDD/SSD connection (top) and  power connection 

• 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex

These me are the front connectors, as you can see there are no white wires all black, there is an arrow through 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you not getting any response at all when pressing the power button? No beeping, momentary fans starting & stopping, etc. ?
    Just having it plugged in most motherboards will have an LED turn on showing its getting power.

Also, only the POWER SW is important for the jumpers, the rest are extras or cosmetic.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The LED ones don't matter, it's just cosmetic. Try the power switch one, and if it doesn't work the first time, try flipping it around.  
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    What motherboard you have? Typically ATX motherboards have two power connectors, one toward the top of the board near the rear IO plate and one large one (which you show plugged in)

My guess is the arrow would indicate the hot wire (as in, the not-GND), but afaik it shouldn't matter which way you plug it in for the power/reset switches.
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Okay I've gone and unplugged everything almost, what is required to power it up I'll try that first? I'm guessing PSU to motherboard power switch?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    What motherboard you have? Typically ATX motherboards have two power connectors, one toward the top of the board near the rear IO plate and one large one (which you show plugged in)

My guess is the arrow would indicate the hot wire (as in, the not-GND), but afaik it shouldn't matter which way you plug it in for the power/reset switches.
    It's the asrock z170 pro4s

And yes it has two power connects and I've plugged both in
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The minimum needed is:

PSU
    motherboard
    CPU w/fan
    power button (power sw)

Some motherboards require the RAM to be plugged in to boot up, but iirc most will work fine without it (basic functions only). The SSD/HDD are only needed to boot into an OS, so don't worry about having them plugged in for now. Plug the screen into the motherboards built-in video output for now to use the CPUs integrated gpu instead of the Geforce.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    At a minimum your ram/cpu need to be installed and you should have your heatsink on your processor and the fan plugged in, your two power supply connectors going to your motherboard and the power switch for your case should be plugged in.

To use onboard video you will more than likely need to remove your graphics card entirely from the PCIe slot. When I was troubleshooting my Z170 motherboard the video wouldn't output to my monitor from the motherboard so long as the card was in the slot (even if there was no power going to it)

Looks like your power supply is switched off btw, not sure if you did that just for the photo

Edit: nevermind about the powersupply, I'm dumb, forgot for a moment I was looking at the inside not the outside lmao
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    PolyHertz said:
    Also be sure your PSU has the switch on the back turned on.

• 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Thanks guys, what I have connected right now are: CPU, CPU fan, RAM, two power connects going from power supply to the motherboard and the power switch and hdmi from the motherboard connected to my monitor 

sounds about right?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Made sure everything was in correctly and tried the power switch both ways, no luck, I can hear a little sounds when I put my ear close to the power supply, like a faint ringing 
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Also the PSU is 100% on 
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pic you posted of the psu before looks like the fan control is set to whatever "hybrid" is, so if you're expecting fan sound you may not be getting it?

No lighting up on the screen at all?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Okay I got it working! The fan is spinning
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If its still not working after all that, I'd try plugging your working PCs power switch jumper into the new motherboard and see if that works. Be sure to remember how it was plugged in though before pulling it out of your old motherboard.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    3Dash92 said:
    Okay I got it working! The fan is spinning
    The computer is working or the power supply fan is working?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Okay I've put it all together and now it's not working, I'm thinking it's to do with connecting the graphics card with the PSU

Edit: yes took the graphics card cables out of the power supply and now it works
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it just not output video when the PSU is hooked up to the GPU, or does the entire system fail to power on?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    PolyHertz said:
    Does it just not output video when the PSU is hooked up to the GPU, or does the entire system fail to power on?
    The system powers up, fans moving and the graphics card even lights up it's just when I try connect the card to the PSU it doesn't do anything so I'm either putting it in the wrong slot or using the wrong cables
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Computer system seems to be running with everything connected but I'm getting no signal on my monitor any ideas?
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your cable plugged into the graphics card port and not the motherboard graphics port?
    Are you seeing the BIOS screen?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Is your cable plugged into the graphics card port and not the motherboard graphics port?
    Are you seeing the BIOS screen?
    It is plugged into the graphics card port and I'm seeing no BIOS screen just a blank screen with no signal 

I take it I've plugged the graphics card in correctly since it's lit up, the 6 pin and 8 pin is connected to the CPU / PCI - E section and not the peripheral - IDE/SATA section of the PSU
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you make sure to switch your video cable over from the motherboard to the Geforce card?
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    PolyHertz said:
    Did you make sure to switch your video cable over from the motherboard to the Geforce card?
    Yes the hdmi is plugged into the graphics card, might have to take it to the computer shop tomorrow, it's probably a really quick fix too
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    Just want to say thanks for your help everyone, took it to a computer shop and they said two things,

1. The i7 7700k won't work on my ASRock z170 pro4s motherboard because it is an old motherboard and it can't run the BIOS update for the 7th gen CPU since it can only be done by display. So I had the choice of either going back to the 6th gen CPU (6700k) or changing my motherboard which I did (ordered a new one and returning the old one)

2. Also they recommended a slightly bigger case because the graphics card wires and CPU fan were very close to the window so I'm also returning the case and getting one with more width
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Some generalized words of advice (not necessarily specific to the choices you made). Never cheap out on motherboards. Get the mid-range to high end stuff.  Build your PC on PCpartspicker (website) and pay attention to the alerts it gives. It will let you know if there are incompatibilities.

For cases, if you want to save money stick with baseline models for Cooler master, corsair, or ThermalTake. Its extremely hard to go wrong with those.
    Also if its not booting up all the way after everything is assembled, try it with just one stick of RAM. RAM can sometimes cause issues. Also make sure you buy them in kits, and try to avoid mixing kits (even if its the same brand or stick of RAM) as often times different batches will not work as well as those from the same batch.

3Dash92 said:
    Just want to say thanks for your help everyone, took it to a computer shop and they said two things,

1. The i7 7700k won't work on my ASRock z170 pro4s motherboard because it is an old motherboard and it can't run the BIOS update for the 7th gen CPU since it can only be done by display. So I had the choice of either going back to the 6th gen CPU (6700k) or changing my motherboard which I did (ordered a new one and returning the old one)

2. Also they recommended a slightly bigger case because the graphics card wires and CPU fan were very close to the window so I'm also returning the case and getting one with more width
    The shop is probably lying to you btw, as that mobo's CPU support list includes the i7 7700k.
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Pro4/?cat=CPU
    The problem may have been something else entirely. You could also use the mobo's graphics output, install the OS, the GPU drivers then try to install the GPU again.

Also being close to the window shouldn't be a problem. Especially for wires. I'm going to suggest the shop is just telling you random crap to make it sound like their services were worth it, or they never actually put time into trying to fix your PC. If they know you are not familiar with computers, chances are high they will just tell you garbage and expect you not to pick up on it.

That said, if you don't mind a little bit more noise... try going with an AIO liquid cooling solution.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dataday, the shop may be correct about the BIOS and CPU support, just depends on what version the mobo shipped with; 7.00 was only released in october according to that link. A quick look at some forum threads suggest that this board needed a number of bios updates for RAM compatibility as well, but I can't find anything solid that would help here. Agreed about the case, being "a little close" to the window doesn't mean anything.
  • 3Dash92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dash92 vertex
    I've gone and purchased the Asus PRIME Z270-A, Intel Z270, hopefully that will work for me, looks like it will work with the i7 7700k
    So this is my setup now (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4ndgCy) and it checks out fine, when I put my old motherboard through it actually did some up as an error, just in general 'Some z170 chipset motherboard need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs.' I think the shop owner was correct for that part, thanks guys
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Kaby Lake CPU's just came out a few days ago, I'm not surprised you could run into BIOS issues with it. The risk of being an early adopter.

I'll do some updates to the Suggested Builds in the PC building thread based on your feedback (bigger cases for larger GPUs, newer motherboards to to help ensure Kaby Lake compatibility).