Home Technical Talk

Average Deadline for Current Gen Game Character?

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate I just want to get a general idea.

Replies

• kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    what kind of character? what kind of game? how many/what animations? etc etc
  • The_Silent_One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something like Nathan Drake from Uncharted 4

Action-adventure

Just the main character with no animations (essentially how much time would a 3D artist get to complete a character like this?)

• kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    i think you will get highly variable answers to this question... It depends on so many factors, artist experience, quality of concept art, availability of base models, complexity of costume/props, quality of art direction etc.
  • The_Silent_One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright let me try and narrow it down a bit.

Lets say you have been give the task of creating Drake for Uncharted 4.
    You are considerered an intermediate artist.
    The concept artist has provided you with a front, side and back view.
    You weren't given any base models so you have to make everything from scratch.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    a Main character like Nathan Drake, with all the revisions, changes and possible new higher up people on the team who want to express themselves...

you can most likely expect it to take months in total. on uncharted alone it wasn't just one artist working on him.

Modellers, maybe sculptors, texturefolks, shading folks, riggers, animators, tons of R&D just for this character alone. I wouldn't even want to come up with a number of days for such a task, because it might frighten me :D

That said, from my experience with non main character type of stuff. Dependent on the complexity and style it can be anything between 20 or 60 man days, for the modelling/baking/texturing part of it alone.

• The_Silent_One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox
    Thanks for the information, this is what I was looking for:)
  • xtrm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
     "" Modellers, maybe sculptors, texturefolks, shading folks, riggers, animators, tons of R&D just for this character alone. I wouldn't even want to come up with a number of days for such a task, because it might frighten me D  ""
    yes and then add a couples a months on top of that..
    i seat close to Frank Tzeng .. and i saw how drake  got tweaked  there and there quite often 
    we tweak all our stuff until the last possible time.. and so do our character team :-) 
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    100,000 triangles 4096 textures, 1 week bruh.

:) j/k i think that might actually be 3 months if this hasn't changed since last year but i gusstimated the duration.

Hope it helps?..

@Neox i thought it was 1 more month seems right though.
    Glad it is i am usually doing 1 week maybe 2/3 interesting makes me want to spend more time on my art now.  
    Thanks, otherwise.