Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

[Feedback Needed] - Student 2016 Demo Reel

Hey there, I'm about to finish off my final year of college and would love some feedback. Im aiming towards game animation. Hope you guys enjoy.

Demo Reel 2016 from Charles Wallace on Vimeo.

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    - The first shot for is rendered well, but the head bounce is a big jerky. If this is just an animation reel (not generalist: rendering, lighting, etc) then I'd move this shot out of the first place slot.
    - The spinning sword shot it really cool. I'd put this first in your reel.  I really like how the leg pulls in over time. I don't see a good spin like this often. 
    - For the shot at 0:25, you can push the camera in so we can see the action better, and also frame the end of the shot better. I would make it so his left arm goes out of frame at the end, and the bottom edge of the frame is just underneath him. Also, lets see that guy do something before he gets hit. This would help this shot feel less like an exercise.  I'd consider ending the shot sooner as long as it reads well, or otherwise animate until the end of the shot.
    - For the next shot, I'd slow down the turntable. I think it's more important to see your animation than to see it from every side, and currently there's too much spinning to see your animation well. Same thing for the crab turntable. 
    - The last shot has a few issues. The framing is cool, and I like the idea of the blood interfering with how much we can see. As for critique, the hips don't animate at all which is a huge no-no. If you don't plan to fix this issue I'd take the shot out of your reel. I can tell where your keys are, especially on your anticipation which could really use some secondary action so the action doesn't just stop during this time. The spine seems to bend the wrong way during the first major anticipation; it's doing an S curve, instead of a C curve, and I imagine his left shoulder would be raised up with his arm. The thing he does with his right hand at the end doesn't read well. If it's supposed to be a wind-up like Popeye the Sailor used to do, then I think it's too comical of an acting choice. Really good timing on the cut to the final title card. 

Overall: You have a few cycles which is good, I'd try to show an idle>variation>idle. And huge bonus points if you can show it in game, and even start learning the animation tools (animation graphs) necessary to switch and blend between animations. Solid animation skills is most important, but if you start learning the game engine side of things, it'll make it much easier for a company to justify hiring you. I had a not-amazing clip of a guy running around in unreal that I set up myself and it gave me an edge when getting my first industry job because I knew the basics of an engine.

Hope this helps. 
  • Wallace0093
    Thank you so much Tholmes! this totally helps! I think I'm going to take rotation out of the turntable all together because as stated it presents the model well, but the animation is lost. The insect humanoid in the first shot and the bug creature are both characters in our senior game at my school. Both the turns were done in UE4, I should probably specify that with text or something. After going back to it that final shot does feel  a bit clunky and not as polished as it could be. Overall great advice, I can't wait to take another whack at it.