Home Technical Talk

can't calibrate my monitor to have the same color

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
spexel polycounter lvl 2
I have 2 different samsung monitor, one is plugged with a hdmi cable and the other one with a DVI cable. I tried multiple online website to calibrate my color but I jus can't get it right. I looked for calibration tools like the spyder5 but this thing cost 300$. My main monitor has a slight yellow tint and I just don't know how to get rid of it. Any help?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look for the control buttons on your monitors. Should pop up a menu for adjusting colors. What controls do you have?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Check your display driver settings to make sure that your HDMI monitor's using Full dynamic range instead of Limited. See this article:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

Also, it may be difficult to impossible to get them to be exactly consistent without getting a colorimeter, both with each other and with other monitors in general. Check what you're making on both of them, use common sense, and you should probably be fine, as long as you aren't making prints of your concept art. You can get a cheaper colorimeter than the Spyder5 and it will still improve the state of things.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    f.lux adds a yellowish tint is that disabled before you try color control.
    I usually have it on while working and then i am pissed when i find it was on and the colors are not as cool looking on a design as i once thought once i turn that off.

Hey it could happen, but yea spyder is the way to go but i hear it goes into more complicated territory with coatings on the LCD's themselves or something along those lines.
    Are they both the same Samsung monitors? that is important i hear.

The other calibration threads might help they get further into this, I think EarthQuake (possibly not) or someone was talking about bouncing around a spyder to users here on PC, thread might be long gone now, idk how well that went, it was a while ago, couple of years.

Sorry no real help, here hope it works out for you.
    I agree about the price on the spyder's, should of asked for that on XMAS :) or black friday.

• spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Check your display driver settings to make sure that your HDMI monitor's using Full dynamic range instead of Limited. See this article:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

Also, it may be difficult to impossible to get them to be exactly consistent without getting a colorimeter, both with each other and with other monitors in general. Check what you're making on both of them, use common sense, and you should probably be fine, as long as you aren't making prints of your concept art. You can get a cheaper colorimeter than the Spyder5 and it will still improve the state of things.

Well I'm out of options, I tried everything on there and it didn't work :(

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a look at the ColorMunki Smile, a little over $70, and has decent reviews for an entry-level colorimeter.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ColorMunki+Smile
  • spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Take a look at the ColorMunki Smile, a little over $70, and has decent reviews for an entry-level colorimeter.
    just ordered it, hopefully it will fix my problem.

Thanks everyone
  • spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    spexel said:
    just ordered it, hopefully it will fix my problem.

Thanks everyone
    Just calibrated my monitors with it! works great, they are now almost identical! Can't believe how far off I was from true colors!
  • Ramseus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah it's pretty shocking what actually neutral colours look like when you're used to factory default monitors. Makes me wonder sometimes whether I should even be working with calibrated monitors since the majority of people are fine with grossly blue tinted defaults.

Unrelated to your issue, but if anyone sees this and has two different monitors, good luck. At home my monitors even have different colour spaces so getting the colours to match is literally impossible.
  • spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Ramseus said:
    Yeah it's pretty shocking what actually neutral colours look like when you're used to factory default monitors. Makes me wonder sometimes whether I should even be working with calibrated monitors since the majority of people are fine with grossly blue tinted defaults.

Unrelated to your issue, but if anyone sees this and has two different monitors, good luck. At home my monitors even have different colour spaces so getting the colours to match is literally impossible.
    My monitors are not the same and it did a pretty good job on both. If I switch a picture from the left to the right monitor I can barely see a difference.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus said:

Yeah I've got two totally different models and it's basically impossible to get them to match exactly. However, having an exact match isn't actually important other than for obsessive compulsive reasons.

Additionally, while I'm sure your musing about the merits of calibration were rhetorical, it does make a lot of sense for anyone author art content or anything color sensitive that other people will look at. Sure, they will look at it on crappy, uncalibrated devices, however, there is a wide spectrum and those devices will vary in all directions. If you're authoring on a screen with terrible color, it's going to be off in a very specific way, so additionally inaccuracies on the viewer's end will compound the situation. Calibration is more about making sure your display is somewhere in the middle, not perfect, or exactly the same as a screen next to it, but in a reasonably accurate mid-range so you can be sure you're not adding any sort of compensation to your content to try to work around a defect of your display.