Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] RR-77

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
reed vertex
Hello guys! I am starting a new project, and after a few days of thinking and researching I have begun the making of a project I'll call "Virus Curfew" for the time being.

I plan to finish by New Year's Eve and add this piece to my portfolio.
I am going to build this scene inside of UE4, and if i find the time i might make this into a playable environment in the future. 
I plan to update this thread regularly as long as there are no complications.

Lore and focal point:
      You as the viewer are in front of a door opening looking into one of the sleeping quarters of a space station, having a view of a (not so) distant planet. The station has been abandoned. You notice the bright view of a planet reflecting light inside the room, the light brings your attention towards the crates on the right. A tablet is displaying a message; curfew. You notice the markings on the crates displaying some kind of warning. Is this the reason for the abandonment of the station?

Tl;dr:
Lore: Virus curfew inside an abandoned space station.
Focal point: Tablet on the lower left corner and the bright planet in the middle.

I have a few inspiration sources, but the main layout i am looking at comes from the concept artist Stefan Morrell.

Started making the blockout yesterday, this is how far I have come:

The main objects are placed, but nothing is set in stone. I am going to make the bed cover and pillows as well, but i don't see them needing a blockout just yet. Things to be done in the blockout now comes down to finding ways to make this look like a medical section, finding ways to make this area look abandoned (while still staying strong to the setting of space) as well as finding ways to fill up some blank spaces; like the one in the top left corner as well as the floor.
Ideas are very welcome! :smile:

Looking forward to sharing my project with you all! Ideas, inspiration and C&C are really appreciated! :smiley:
//Robin 'Reed' Rumpunen

Replies

• reed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reed vertex
    Update time!
    This past week i have spent my time refining all the props to a near finished state (low poly wise), as well as bringing in and placing all the props as individual assets into Unreal. There will be a few more props coming along as well as refining designs and areas on different props, I plan to do this when i am bringing in the props for texturing.
    The following week will be spent on texturing and making props into a finished state, as well as coming up with ideas to make the scene look abandoned and left in a hurry. I will experiment with props scattered around the floor as well as trying to define this in the materials.
    I will also look into making the bed cover and throughout the time starting to play around with different focal views.
    Here are a couple of screens of the project in the current state.

//Robin 'Reed' Rumpunen
  • reed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reed vertex
    (double post, mod please delete)
  • reed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reed vertex
    Hey! I dont have much to show you guys in the form of an update this week. I spent the last weekend studying for a school project but i have been able to make some time to make a bit of progress with the UE4 scene.

I spent two days following two tutorials to get an introduction to substance designer, and i have since then produced a metal material for use in the scene as well as starting a shader in UE to utilies different uv-maps and textures.
    I will now start working on different materials as well as setting up props, lighting and shader for the scene. I might also start Marvelous Designer to experiment with different bed cover designs.

Thanks for the read!
    //Robin "Reed" Rumpunen
  • reed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reed vertex
    Update! This week i've spent a good time researching in blendable material shader inside ue4. The result has given me a lot more detail as well as saving me time with the texturing process of all my props. I've made a shader which will blend between a painted metal, steel and dirt/grime materials depending on the masks i choose to input. As well as having full control of the roughness, tiling and tightness of the masks.Painted metal material                                                  Steel material                                                               Grime material
    Here are two props i've textured using this method: the wall and the cabinet door.

The props that are very unique and do not fit the painted metal type are not meant to use this shader, one of these props is the bed cover.
    I've created the bed cover inside of Marvelous Designer as well as retopologized it with zbrush before final edits and unwraping inside Modo. The texturing process will start shortly.

The bed cover with the highpoly baked down.

I have not started messing around with the lighting yet, and it's likely to not be worked on till the next update. The following week will be focus on getting as many props finished and textured.

Thanks for the read!

//Robin "Reed" Rumpunen

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    Looking promising
  • reed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reed vertex
    Hey guys! I didnt have time to make last week's update, was working night and day to finish the piece before the end of 2016! and guess what? I made it!
    So last week i finished making the props, i then unwrapped the models. Most of the assets did not have any unique textures, instead i used the tileable materials shader to blend between steel, painted metal, concrete and grime. For props like the crate and the electronic panels i did have unique textures, for which i made in substance painter.
    For the last 2 days i spent my time with lighting the scene.
    This was a very interersting part because i have had little experience with lighting in unreal. but with a bit of researching i made it just the way i had imagined it, all those weeks ago.
    Finishing up the lighting i added decals of grime and wear to the ceiling, walls and floor to add a lot more unique areas of interest in roughness and colour difference.
    After making that i had a bit of critiques from the Twitch/Discord community i am part of, small things which lead to a much better image imo. I suggest heading over to Twitch.tv/dinusty if you're interested in gamedev as well!

But now, without much further ado: here's the final image of my project.
    I present to you: RR-77!

Heres the Artstation post!
                 https://www.artstation.com/artwork/25rAx
    Thanks for the read!
    //Robin Rumpunen
  • anMori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anMori polycounter lvl 7
    Outstanding work on the lighting on the top area in the last shot!

It really fits but somehow the light on the stairs and the spot bottom right are kinda drawing the attention away from it, also making that part look kinda sterile with the very "white-ish" colour compared to the warm orange in the back. Although you consider it done, maybe it´s worth to look into this? I´m confident it would give the scene some easy extra 10% on quality :) Lowering the intensity by just 10-20% could already make a huge difference.

• reed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reed vertex
    anMori said:
    Outstanding work on the lighting on the top area in the last shot!

It really fits but somehow the light on the stairs and the spot bottom right are kinda drawing the attention away from it, also making that part look kinda sterile with the very "white-ish" colour compared to the warm orange in the back. Although you consider it done, maybe it´s worth to look into this? I´m confident it would give the scene some easy extra 10% on quality :) Lowering the intensity by just 10-20% could already make a huge difference.

Thanks for the compliment and your thoughts!
    My idea of the light on the lower right side was to create a contrast between the warmer colours in the top left. As well as hinting that there would be a door/exit at the far right. You are right in that it looks a bit off, indeed. i won't go back to it at this time, but i am going to keep this in mind till the next time, and try to emphezise the idea a bit more.
    Thanks, Robin Rumpunen.