Home Technical Talk

Averaging normals of two different meshes?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
amarillosebas polycounter lvl 3
I have this a model which is composed of 3 separate meshes that need to appear as one.

The model:

The meshes:

The problem is that the normals are aligned differently, just according to their own mesh, so you can clearly see they are different geometries and the illusion of one mesh is broken. The solution I thought of is just averaging the normals, but I don't know if that is even possible with 3Ds Max. I've been googling some and couldn't find what I'm looking for. I hope this images explain what I want to do a little better.

A closer view of the "seams":

The normals (here you can see that they "split" along the edges of the separate meshes, as should be expected):

What I want to do is to grab the normals of the borders and "move" them together:

I don't think this can be done with 3Ds Max, which is what I'm using, since you can't even copy/paste the values of normals from different meshes.

There's a plugin called Normal Tools, but I don't know if it can do this. I thought maybe someone here had bought it and know if this can be done with it. If not, do you still know of a way of averaging normals on different meshes?

Replies