Home Technical Talk

3DSMax Highpoly Smoothing Issue... Procedural fix?

frankdowd
null

Greetings,

I have been doing some 3D sci-fi character concepting work using the subdivide/turbosmooth modifier with smoothing group separation.  It has been pretty handy at getting quick mock-ups done.  I like having the ability to unwrap the lowpoly and sketch out some surface details for a quick and non-destructive workflow.

The biggest weakness of this style pops up when an area is meant to be smooth in one direction, and sharp/creased in another.  This happens at a lot of the 3 smoothing group intersections.  Stylistically I enjoy adding a large bevel to my edges.  Here are some shape examples I’ve run into with pinch problems.

Adding the extra turbosmooth modifier helps soften the pinch, but the problem still remains. Below is an example where the edges are split so that each surface can smooth in a natural way.  This illustrates that the pinched surface is warping to maintain the creases and connections.

I am wondering if anyone has some clever methods on how to minimize the issue areas while preserving the low poly cage?  Perhaps some way to better specify edge flow, or a zbrush polish?  I’m more looking for automated approaches as opposed to manual tweaking.  I have some experience with the alternatives (HP with support edge loops, surface deformers, booleans, etc) but I'm curious if the double-turbosmooth build can be better utilized for the final high poly base. 

Thanks for the thoughts.  

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    You can not avoid this without adding enough geometry to support the distortion done by the smoothing algorithm. In either way you will end up with a higher polycount than what you have right now.