Home Technical Talk

Carpet UV Tile using Substance Designer?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mirge polycounter lvl 7
Here's the carpet look I wanted to achieve:

I was just wondering on an overview of how to texture the entire parts of the carpet using substance designer using a tiled texture, my initial thought was to make a plane mesh in maya and texture on top with my primary method of texturing using photoshop to create a similar texture on the white parts of the carpet as stencil texturing in sub painter but I wanted to know how to tile this? (seems much more convenient IMO) Here are some images for more info on the method I was aiming for using designer.

I was wondering also how to make the carpet (when it reaches the top and bottom left right edges) to change ways in UV tiling, seems possible using designer but I just can't find any methods and tutorials on changing a UV tile it's direction. I might be missing out so much here but If there is also any other ways to create a similar method please do share your ways :) 

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Heh, I actually did that carpet. You wont use substance designer for the ribbons, they are a separate texture/material.

You have 2 materials there:
    1 - the middle is tiling in XY with a detail texture of carpet.
    2 - then the other one is mesh based uvs, the ribbons outside have a trim tiling texture horizontally that gives you the look, that also has a detail texture that gives you the sharpen look.
    3 - We had a shader of fabric at RAD that would emulate this look, the macro nmap had some bumping in direction and that would give u the variation.
    4 -  Some of the waviness was just getting the mesh to be a bit distorted so it would warp the carpet for a more natural look.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bless you bugo. This is part of why I love Polycount. :)
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klo Works polycounter lvl 8
    bugo said:
    Heh, I actually did that carpet. You wont use substance designer for the ribbons, they are a separate texture/material.

You have 2 materials there:
    1 - the middle is tiling in XY with a detail texture of carpet.
    2 - then the other one is mesh based uvs, the ribbons outside have a trim tiling texture horizontally that gives you the look, that also has a detail texture that gives you the sharpen look.
    3 - We had a shader of fabric at RAD that would emulate this look, the macro nmap had some bumping in direction and that would give u the variation.
    4 -  Some of the waviness was just getting the mesh to be a bit distorted so it would warp the carpet for a more natural look.

@bugo
    can you explain more about number 2 ?
    if you using trim how you manage the corners?

the texture  got distortion, what the way to manage for a good carpet UV corners? 

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Make a UV split and don't square off the ends of the strips. 
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    Make a UV split and don't square off the ends of the strips. 
    @ZacD
     something like this:

so that mean you can't tile it, you only try to match it until the seam not noticeable is it correct? 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, that's the right idea, there's a few tricks you could try to cover up the corner seams, like making a specific corner piece that tiles seamlessly with the ends of the strips. That seam is so small it might not be noticeable in game, or it might look like an intentional seam that doesn't look bad. 
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    Yeah, that's the right idea, there's a few tricks you could try to cover up the corner seams, like making a specific corner piece that tiles seamlessly with the ends of the strips. That seam is so small it might not be noticeable in game, or it might look like an intentional seam that doesn't look bad. 
    ok, thanks, I learn a lot today. :) 

as you mention this is what  I came up.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idea 2 is more optimized, and gives you higher resolution. But you can improve on the corners by making only the very ends (white square). You can also add a blurry strip of red to the edge tile, to help soften the transition to the red pattern (arrows).

• Mirge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirge polycounter lvl 7
    Ah i feel so enlightened by these methods, so much possibilities for I thought a single plane mesh would suffice hm, also

as you mention this is what  I came up.
    Idea 1 seems like it's destructive yet idea 2 is some what convenient(?), must make a note out of this to try it out :). This also leads to me questioning, how else do I texture tile a UV splitted UV face (while having 1 mesh with multiple faces) on different faces so i can tile 1 face individually with a tiled texture? (if that made any sense lel) here's a godly drawing of mine to further explain the scenario.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can overlap the edge pieces in UV space, like how Kio Works shows in this post.

Another example of this method can be found here.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/144838/ue4-modular-building-set-breakdown/p1

And even more examples are here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Mirge
    I do trim tileable for each 5 square and then I do the corner.

here  in maya.

and now you can use it as modular as long as you want.

@bugo  
    if you got time to explain ur way

@ZacD
    if u got other tricks share it if u free

Thanks guys for taking your time to answer :)

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    you dont have to create pieces for it, make your texture a ribbon (tile horizontally), and then use "preserve uvs" and stretch the mesh where you want to.
  • Mirge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirge polycounter lvl 7
    Ah, yeah got the gist, thanks for the heads up Klo Works, just attempted this method in unreal with TextCoord :L

many thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.