Home Technical Talk

Maya/Mental Ray Contour Rendering: Trouble with Aliasing

RNucci
vertex
Offline / Send Message
RNucci vertex
Hi Everyone!

So I recently was able to locate the original scene from one of my better renders that I wanted to showcase on my website. But first I needed to create a breakdown shot. So I have been going through the process of contour rendering the scene so I could overlay the original render. But I've run into an aliasing problem that I can't seem to fix, so I was hoping you fine people here at Polycount could help.

Here's the final render:

So I'm using Maya 2013 and the mental ray strategy of setting everything up in the features tab of the render settings and creating a Lambert with the contour turned on in the material shading group. I've been tweaking the settings to try to make it look nice and crisp but have yet to come to a satisfying result. 

Here's the best contour render so far:

So for the most part, it looks "OK". But I'm definitely getting some aliasing along the ceiling, around the books, and along the back of the rug. If it was just the books and rug, I could just chalk it up to a heavy mesh, but the ceiling is rather light. So WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?!?!

Here's a image of my settings at this point:

As you can see, I've had to step up my over samples pretty freaking high just to get to the level of quality that I'm at. I've tried different Widths but that hasn't really effected anything except to make some of the heavier meshes red blobs. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. also if you have questions on any of my other settings, let me know and I'll gladly provide them.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried rendering at 2x or even 4x of your final resolution? You seem to be doing everything right, it's just pixels being pixels, and MR has chosen an unfortunate way of drawing that ceiling line.
  • RNucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RNucci vertex
    Actually, When I originally made this scene back in school, for some random reason I had the camera set to a 2x resolution. but it actually looked worse when I tried rendering it plus the increased render time so I cut it down to 1920x1080. I might try to change the material from a lambert to a mia_material and see if that plays a little nicer with mental ray.