Home Technical Talk

converting cat rig system from 3ds max to hik in maya

vladidan
null
Offline / Send Message
vladidan null

Hello everybody

Since it's my first time to post in this forum, i wasn't sure where to post it. So if it's wrong please correct me.

I am facing some kind of problem converting an already CAT rigged system that is already rigged from 3ds max to HIK in maya, both apps are 2016.

First of all, is about anatomy model, so lots of objects around 3-4 thousands.

Second, the main goal is to take the whole model with the rig and put it inside maya. The model has already rig and animation on it.

It could be possible and how difficult it could be?

I have tried both methods:

Send the whole file scene from 3ds max to maya with the command(send to)
export the whole file scene with fbx format from 3ds max to maya

Here are the problems:

Inside maya

1. A few of skin deformers are not correctly althoug most of them are. In 3ds max everything are ok, all the skins are behave correctly. I have to say that not all the objects of my model has skin modifiers, some of them has skin wrap modifier. Is that a problem? I am mention it because some objects that has the problem with the skin in maya, has skin wrap deformer in 3ds max, again not all. And lastly, in 3ds max file for some objects in the modifier stack i have "edit poly" above "skin" modifier, is that a problem too?

2. Some technics that was used in 3ds max for rigged purpose hasn't pass in maya, like ffd modifiers. Is there any way to convert them in the way that maya can understand them?

3. The names of the objects are mess up, is there a way to keep the original name of objects that was in 3ds max? I have already tried all the three options has to offer the fbx format.

4. The conversion to HIK is straight, the orientation of joins has change. Also when i create control rig from the menu of HIK some joins are not covered by FK-IK system. For example, i have a lot spine joins like 20, the HIK is only cover like 10 joins. Any way to put some extra joins in the graphic of HIK to cover the rest of the joins, like in the area of spin?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for advance.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This is the correct forum for these types of questions. However, interoperability between software packages at the rigging level is a difficult process (and is usually not possible). Between that and the complexity of the model you descibe I think you'll need to hire a technical artist to do it for you.

Now if you just need the animations and not the rig, you can easily write batch export/import scripts for Max and Maya. And then create the HIK rig in Maya using the new QuickRig feature. You won't be able to edit the old animations with the new rig, but at least it will all be in Maya.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    It is possible but, a pain in the arse that requires a lot of cleanup. As monster says, some tech knowledge is required and it's certainly not just a matter of clicking the 'send to' button.
  • vladidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladidan null
    Thanks guys for responses

Monster: As i said i wanted to move the whole model with the rig into maya, not just the animation. When you say technical artist, you mean an artist with programming background?

Now about the process i knew that it wouldn't be too easy.

Musashidan: when you say a lot of cleanup what do you have in mind? Are there others things that i didn't mention and i have to deal with in that process?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At best you could create a new rig in maya, there are quite a few ways to do that, not all of them require an advanced level of rigging knowledge, some autoriggers are pretty good like advance Skeleton and The Setup Machine. Then you use human IK to retarget the animations to your new rig. 

There isn't a way to share rigs between packages, just animations.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    vladidan said:
    Musashidan: when you say a lot of cleanup what do you have in mind? Are there others things that i didn't mention and i have to deal with in that process?
    Basically you have to re-rig elements that got broken. So deformers won't transfer from Maya to Max as they won't be recognised, and vice-versa with Max's modifiers(except skin) to Maya.

Do you just want to transfer animation data to Maya for rendering, or do you want full control of the rig?
  • vladidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladidan null
    Mark Dygert thank you for your advice
    "There isn't a way to share rigs between packages, just animations" i was afraid so

musashidan thanks again for reply
    It seems a great deal of work to fix every aspect that break, because it's too many of them
    I want to transfer the full rig with the animation on it.
  • vladidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladidan null
    Mark Dygert thank you for your advice
    "There isn't a way to share rigs between packages, just animations" i was afraid so

musashidan thanks again for reply
    It seems a great deal of work to fix every aspect that break, because it's too many of them
    I want to transfer the full rig with the animation on it.