Home Technical Talk

Help with 3DSMax/Marmoset applying textures

NickPell
null
Offline / Send Message
NickPell null
Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but I'm new at this I really can't figure it out.
I recently started studying modeling at school and I'm starting to get pretty comfortable with 3DSmax. However, I haven't learned much about texturing yet, so I decided to do a bit of homework on my own to figure things out.

At school, we've been using photoshop and Marmoset Toolbag to texture a simple scene that the teacher had unwrapped for us. I decided to try and do the same at home, so I modeled this simple dungeon room based on the Nintendo game Zelda 1. I know it's not much to look at, but I just wanted something simple so I could get to texturing asap.  Note that I unwrapped the wall on the right side, and scribbled on it just to see how it'd show up. So far, everything works as expected! This is in 3DS max.

However, I prefer to be looking at the scene in Toolbag, since it updates on-the-fly every time I save my PSD. The problem is, for some reason, whenever I put my texture on the right wall, it automatically applies it to the left as well!!! Please look at this image:

Why would it do that? The walls aren't even identical, one of them has a hole for the door and the other one doesn't. And in 3DSmax, they're 2 diferent objects.

I tried everything I could think of: I deleted the wall, re-exported from 3DSmax, and a bunch of other stuff, but it keeps doing this no matter what!

I apologize again, I'm SURE this is a really stupid question and I'm gonna slap myself once I find the answer, but as I said, I'm new at this... I was going to ask the teacher, but I forgot to bring my scene to school today so I won't get the chance until next week.

Thanks guys.

Replies