Home Career & Education

3D Modelling Techniques For A Beginner - Advice and Pointers Please

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi there I am a game development student and spent a long time coding and making prototypes however never really looked to learn to make the game look nice. Just wondering on any areas that would be a great place to start and learn to get my games looking great as well as playing well. Any help or advice on the 3D techniques is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I used to be a programmer before learning 3D. Here is my advice for a quick start. You will learn the basics which will be useful for any advanced topics there may be (such as Zbrush).

1. Pick a 3D package: Max, Modo, Maya, Blender
    2. Learn poly modeling - i.e. how to edit individual polygons and best practices
    3. Understand UV mapping
    4. Understand materials and shaders and how to assign them to your model
    5. Understand and learn how to texture (normal maps, albedo, gloss, etc.) e.g. in Photoshop
    6. Learn how to bake a normal map
    7. Understand good mesh quality (units, welded vertices, vertex count, mesh topology)
    8. Learn how to export assets

With this basic knowledge you can model anything from basic characters to environments, suitable for mobile or online content, but also suitable for stylized content for PC/console. Those basics will stay with you for the rest of your career as an amateur or professional 3D modeler. You should know them regardless of whatever other tools you throw in the mix.

Where to go next (I recommend the order I list the next items)? You can learn ZBrush sculpting. After this, look into Retopology to optimize your ZBrush workflow. Look into Substance Painter and Designer to optimize your texturing workflow. Look into marvelous designer to optimize your cloth workflow.