polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
colbludedkila polycounter lvl 7

Replies

• Tengou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tengou vertex
    There's some cool stuff on this reel, I like it. Could I make the suggestion though to cut the first 5 or so seconds from the start of the reel and open with the super hero catching the object. I feel as though the first two shots of the hero don't have as much dynamic movement and don't show as well as the rest of your stuff.
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Tengou, there's a lot of good stuff here. I'll list a few of the things I noticed that wouldn't be too hard to fix. I think consistency is just as important as quality, so fixing a few of the most glaring problems will do a lot for the overall perceived quality of your reel.

- At the end of the first piece, when the guy hits the ball off screen, the camera stops animating for those last few seconds. It looks weird because you've been animating the camera the whole time. You can keep the same framing, I'd just add a few keys to keep the camera alive.
    - For the giant bug monster, the hit react looks like a different quality level from the beginning, almost like his the whole flip and settle takes just a few keys. I'd show the hit react more by cranking the head to the side, and then having the body follow. Basically loosen it up as much as you can without breaking the model. Or even break the model for a few frames. We need to see the effect on his body, not just that it made him fly backwards.
     - In the lip sync about the egg, I like your little head turns as he looks around. They feel good. The guys right leg is posed oddly though. It looks like he's not putting any weight on it would would cause him to fall down. It's a small thing but it effects his base pose a lot. 
    - The lip sync with the dog is so simple and good. Great example of not over animating. 
    - The last 3 shots feel like a weird order. The rubics cube one doesn't feel very strong to me, especially after seeing what you've done with the faces in other pieces. The gambit fight, I know it's fun to show a lot of action, but the poses in this piece are so reserved that I don't think it holds up to your other work. And the Super Hero that turns into the kid... This one is so cool! This should definitely be the last thing on your reel to leave a good impression. I'd consider cutting out the two after it and just having the reel end there.  If you want to push this shot even further I'd focus on when he's spinning in mid air. The posing there could be more dynamic. I can't give you frame numbers because Vimeo, but I paused a few times during his spin and if I just saw that pose I wouldn't be able to tell what he's doing. That should be a good test to see if your poses are telling the story.

Hope that helps. Keep up the good work!