Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Motoko Kusanagi FanArt (chibified)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
Hellooooooo fellow polycounters!

Always wanted to do a chibi. Since this is my first attempt at a chibi I wanted to keep things simple and decided to go with a personal rendition of Motoko Kasanagi (Ghost in the Shell) for this exercise….

Gathered reference I'll use to stay focused and inspired....

Special thanks to Pascal (Aka Paqwaq) for his lovely P99 model (found on modo forum community asset sharing) I’ll be using as a base for her side arm.

Any comments or crits from Chibi or Anime character masters (and anyone else for that matter) is more than welcome!

Thanks for your support...

cheers!

Replies

• GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7

Hello, hello….

Updates:
    I’ve done some work on Motoko that I’m not sure I like at this point, might roll back to a previous version of the body. Also considering scaling the head down about 30-40% for a more proportioned Chibi….anyway....

I’ve done allot with accessories, particularly her back, SMG, and pistol. The SMG in the reference appears to be based on a P-90.

Since this is a character WIP, and I want to move quickly with things I searched around the web for a low res P-90 to add to my “deadly hardware” IMM collection I’ll use as a base to create (not a 1-1 match but approximately) the SMG in the reference material, I have named the P90-9 Drum….

The deadly hardware kit in the image is a mixed collection of Kit containing pieces that I’ve made, and what I can find around the web for free on share sites like Bad King, here, and other places (which I do donate monies to regularly). Now the funny thing is I end up not using allot of these parts, but you never know. I guess I’m a kleptomaniac that way, and I typically end up using stuff from the 3D creation kits (bad king) and my trusty “ready to clip”, hirez block for much of the primary, and secondary shapes and forms which I’ll then carve out greebles, nurnies etc with the clip brush. Than dynamesh pieces together so on and so forth and keep building up the model until I’m satisfied with the result. I try to apply the 70/30 rule, and overall I’m looking for a good balance, and flow between/among the shapes and details...

Results thus far….

• GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Updates pt 2.... the Drum....

I’ve also thought a little about functionality of the SMG, in a lazy way :) Since I removed the standard chamber and mag I came up with this idea of the “Drum”... hence the name - P90-9 drum…
    Its basically reversed engineered revolver that uses rows of round magazines, containing 16 rounds/clip X 4 inside the magazine chamber or Drum, for a total of 64 powerful rounds! 

Due to simplicity of its cylindrical design, and to keep reusable meshes as lowrez as possible I used Zmodeler to create this, and added it to a kit for quick access when placing it about the character…. 

One of the features I love in Zbrush is, morph targets. Morph Targets in zbrush allow for quick and dirty illustrative prototyping of functionality for things like fire arms, or whatever you want really. As such I added all the relative buttons to the custom UI for quickest access possible...

• GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Updates Pt 3....

Much of Mokoto’s gear has been assembled with another set of Kit named, specOps. This is a custom kit of mine comprised of all the spec Ops gear I made over the course of Breach and Clear, and Breach and Clear Deadline development. Allot of it is molle based and was modeled to spec in MODO originally. But shortly after the project I broke a lot of it up to create the Kit/Brush to quickly assemble and design new gear, only having to make proportional adjustments, and add greebles from other kits for the desired look. When making kits comprised of more shapes and complexity such as the specOps kit, it helps to have polygroups assigned respective to their topology for quick editing and applying color when working with them at a later date.

Depending on output, optimizing these meshes for projections is a piece of cake and only requires eliminating edge loops (in modo because it is still allot faster and overall a more efficient process than Zmodeler). If changes are to drastic, and the topology becomes poly-soup, Zremeshing, and edge termination in modo will knock it out 100% of time. If the target for example is iOS, than a simple cube fit to the shape of the mesh works in most scenarios.

For the back plating and other armor (not sure if whats shown will be the final design) I followed a similar process using one of my favorite 3D creation kits from, BadKing. I love this kit for the simplicity of the topology, and shapes, which allows me to block out hard surface designs fairly quickly, similar to how I created the P90-9 Drum - using dynamesh to combine, and further clip in/out or boolean secondary details. With this method the resulting model usually end’s up with much more complexity and will require proper box modeling and or manual retop to create the lowpoly cages for projections and the final real-time assets, which I haven’t done yet, and I’ll cover later on. 

I also plan to explore other available methods in 3Dcoat and maya to create the production models, particularly maya’s new boolean and crease plus, plugins, and newer developments with 3Dcoat’s retopology tools. But I’m mostly curious about whats coming from ZB4r8 with the parametric modeling tools. From what I’ve seen so far they look ideal for this kind of work, and I’m really looking forward to the release, but until then there are other good options available to explore :) 

• GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Updates pt 4:

Final run of updates on this til next weekend.

Early look dev of Hirez sculpts as is, in Marmoset 3.

Whats cool with this is I can get started on the real-time materials, import the final real-time mesh with projections later on, and reapply the materials and export to Unreal or Unity. Other great option for realtime look dev is 3D coat, where you can paint with smart materials on these hi-rez meshes.... great times for Real Time 3D :)

Anyway... 

I probably won't end up using these mats though. Will probably end up using the dota2 shader in the end. I was just eager to get into marmoset 3 and give it a run, and there was no point using the dota shader without all the required maps....

Thanks for taking the time to look at my work here. And I hope what I covered of the process is helpful to some :) 

RT renders from Marmoset 3....

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Well the body and gear are awesome but if you remove her characteristic hairstyle she's just a generic anime character. So I'd suggest to redo the hair like on the refs ( not the fanarts ).
  • GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Texelion said:
    Well the body and gear are awesome but if you remove her characteristic hairstyle she's just a generic anime character. So I'd suggest to redo the hair like on the refs ( not the fanarts ).
    Thanks, Texelion! 

Yes, I think your right. I was going for her hair style from Arise... but its just not working with the chibi style, or the fact that this wasn't intended to be an interpretation of the Arise design... 
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah that's what I thought, you mixed up several versions. In Arise her hair is more blue instead of purple and she has blue eyes too, not red. I think the "red" eyes were only used in GITS SAC.

Found this ref with different versions : 

As you didn't use a classic outfit and the face can't be recognized on its own, the hair/eyes might be the only way to make her look like Motoko.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I agree on the hair, the version from the movie or Stand Alone Complex are probably the most iconic. Since you're going for chibi you can probaly exaggerate it a little bit further to really push the shape. I would also try to add a little bit more seriousness to her eyebrows
  • GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    @ Texellion: thanks allot for the ref images and dialog!

@ Alemja: Thank you very much for the paint over! The silhouette and contours already make a huge difference! Looking forward to getting back to this this weekend!