Home Technical Talk

[Solved] GoZ is not working in Maya 2016 Ext 2 because of... Mentalray?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get GoZ to work.

Using

Maya 2016.5 SP1

ZBrush 4R7 P3

When I click GoZ in ZBrush, Maya responds with this error message.

// Error: file: C:/Users/Public/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrushToMaya.mel line 136: Plug-in, "Mayatomr", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH.

Mayatomr is Maya's plugin for mental ray. This didn't make sense to me since Mental ray is a rendering program and GoZ is a mesh transfer function. But oh well. I went to the plugins menu to enable mayatomr and it wasn't showing up like it normally does. I installed it from the Autodesk website.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/maya-2016-extension-2-service-pack-1.html

It still won't show up even after killing the prefs folder.

I went to Maya's plugin window and mayatomr was still not showing up. I tried it with Maya2014 and it worked just fine. And the mayamtomr plugin wasn't listed there either. So why is 2016.5 rejecting it?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They took Mental Ray out of Maya in newer versions of Maya 2016. In 2017 they replaced it with Arnold. If you search for it there is a separate installer for Mental Ray Maya 2016. 
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already installed Mental Ray for Maya 2016 Ext 2. Windows recognises that it installed, but it's not showing up in Maya's plugin list.

And even then, is this what GoZ actually wants? It makes absolutely no sense to require a rendering plugin for a mesh transfer function.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll need to manually browse to the Mental Ray plugin in the plug-in manager, its entry in the list should stick between sessions if it's loaded or not.

I'm not sure what in MR it needs, Maybe some special sauce for moving data between apps? But this thread suggests that commenting out the requirement in the script might work too. Or check for an updated GoZ script, since Mental Ray isn't a Maya thing anymore
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to load it manually from the C:\Autodesk folder. I received the error message...

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2016.5/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 767: The specified module could not be found.
     (Mayatomr)

I even tried moving the .mll file to Maya's bin/plug-ins folder and manually load it from there with no luck. Every time I google this, I see this question unanswered. Is the answer so obvious and we're all just so dumb that people just choose to ignore it?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get that error when loading mental ray? It should be located in ...\Autodesk\mentalrayForMaya2016.5\plug-ins\  and it the .mll should certainly stay there, great time to double-check that you have the "for Extension 2" edition installed; big hint in the path name.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update. I think I just had the wrong version installed. Earlier I tried installing EX2 SP1's version and it said that it was "not the correct version." I installed the one for normal 2016 and it worked. It didn't make a whole lot of sense but who was I to argue. I noticed the one for EX2 SP1 was 4MB compared to the normal 2016 one which was 50MB. hmmmm. I uninstalled the 2016 and even the 2014 MentalRay plugin just in case (I use 2014 when 2016 has a case of the bugs) Once my list was cleared, I installed 2 plugins in order.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/mental-ray-plugin-satellite-and-standalone-for-maya-2016-extension-2.html?v=2016

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/maya-2016-extension-2-service-pack-1.html

Turns out the SP1 was just an appendage to the original EXT2 so the order in which they are installed matters. Mayatomr SHOWS UP. I started dancing with joy until...

// Error: line 1: Plug-in, "Mayatomr" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (Mayatomr)

Literally about to throw all three of my monitors out of my apartment.

• daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved. I ended up needing to start by installing mental ray for EX2, then go to C:\Autodesk\setup.exe. NOW you can install mental ray for EXT2-SP2.

Next you'll need to go to the new folder C:\Program files\Autodesk\mentalrayForMaya2016.5\plug-ins and copy the Mayatomr.mll

Now go to C:\[Username]\Documents\maya\plug-ins\bin\ and drop in the Mayatomr.mll file you just placed.

Now we need to update a Windows environment variable. Go to Control Pannel>Systems>Advanced and add a new variable. In the new diolog box enter...

Varible Name: MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH
    Varible Value: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016.5\bin\plug-ins

Say ok and close Maya.

Now try GoZ in ZBrush with the path set to Maya 2016 by going to Preferences>GoZ.

• dr_martins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dr_martins null
    Hey Guys,

its as easy as this:
    go to the file:
    C:/Users/Public/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrushToMaya.mel

and remove or comment out the lines 132-138:
    132  // // ------------------------------------------
    133  // // GoZBrushToMaya requires Mental Ray plugin.
    134  // if (`pluginInfo -query -loaded -name "Mayatomr"`==0)
    135  // {
    136  //   loadPlugin "Mayatomr" ;
    137  //   //setCurrentRenderer mentalRay;
    138  // }

Save and try again... that's it.
    Turns out mental ray is not really needed!

Cheers - have fun!

• mcgyver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcgyver polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Guys,

its as easy as this:
    go to the file:
    C:/Users/Public/Pixologic/GoZApps/Maya/GoZBrushToMaya.mel

and remove or comment out the lines 132-138:
    132  // // ------------------------------------------
    133  // // GoZBrushToMaya requires Mental Ray plugin.
    134  // if (`pluginInfo -query -loaded -name "Mayatomr"`==0)
    135  // {
    136  //   loadPlugin "Mayatomr" ;
    137  //   //setCurrentRenderer mentalRay;
    138  // }

Save and try again... that's it.
    Turns out mental ray is not really needed!

Cheers - have fun!

Nice one, I set mine up to load arnold. I am going to test having it load an arnold material on the object and possible setup a quick light scheme.  :D

I just hacked the code of the GoZ Mel script and it worked.  It just loads a blinn but will set Arnold to default.  

Instructions:
    Go to path "C:\XXX\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps\Maya"
    Locate GoZBrushToMaya.mel, copy and rename the copy GoZBrushToMaya.mel.bak

Open GoZBrushToMaya.mel, replace this section:

// GoZBrushToMaya requires Mental Ray plugin.
    if (`pluginInfo -query -loaded -name "Mayatomr"`==0) 
    {
      loadPlugin "Mayatomr" ;
      //setCurrentRenderer mentalRay;
    }

To this section:

// GoZBrushToMaya requires Arnold plugin.
    if (`pluginInfo -query -loaded -name "mtoa"`==0) 
    {
      loadPlugin "mtoa" ;
      //setCurrentRenderer arnold;
    }

Save the Mel script, happy GoZ-ing!