Home Technical Talk

Visor trees in not rendering in vray for maya 2016. Help plz!

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ch0bra polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys, 

I have a deadline due for uni tomorrow and I need to get an environment finished. It's just a simple environment with grass and some trees that I've created using Visor in maya. The grass renders fine but when I try to render the trees in Vray, the leaves aren't visible and the bark texture doesn't render correctly. I have converted from paint effects to polygons. I've searched online but I'm not sure how to map this to a vray material, if that is the problem. I've attached an image of the render in mental ray (top) and one in v ray (bottom). (Lighting set up in vray hence the darkness in the first pic. The shaders are all the defaults from visor. Any help at all is appreciated, thanks in advance! 

Replies

• antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Ah Paint Effects.. so old but still good :)  It looks, like there is some transparency issue in the shader you got from the PFX to Poly conversion. By default, PFX has its own built in shaders (in fact an own rendering engine inside the old maya renderer) that get converted roughly to normal surface shaders on conversion.
  • throttlekitty
    I'm unable to check for a while, but last I remember, paintfx>poly conversion doesn't UV the output or attach any textures to a material; only the "base" color is set. But your grass seems to have a gradient in your mental ray pic, so you're probably working strictly off of vertex color, which may explain the tree transparency issue in vray. Hopefully that gives you a few things to look in to.
  • ch0bra
    Offline / Send Message
    ch0bra polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the replies guys! In the end I had to map some new vray shaders for the bark and leaves. I think I was looking for a workaround when I should have just made some new textures to begin with. Thanks again, issues is solved!