Home Technical Talk

Rigging a model, basic questions *newbie*

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MITVIZ polycounter lvl 6
ok, i have created a model but its not unwrapped, i have it in a tpose but i would like now to rig it, i used the biped to position it etc but my model is in parts, like the hand is one, the body etc, is it essential to have it all as one mesh or can i skin a whole group? also, i plant to change the geometry abit, like work more on the hands in zbrush, add more wrinkles to the clothes and improve it as time goes by, can i just add back part to the model or to the group after its rigged?

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, you can apply skin mod to a group of meshes.

There are ways to work on the mesh once you've skinned it: saving skin data/using skin wrap/unchecking always deform/etc (I believe @Mark Dygert recently posted a great example) but idealistically you will save yourself hassle by just finalising the mesh before skinning it.
  • MITVIZ
    Offline / Send Message
    MITVIZ polycounter lvl 6
    Yes, you can apply skin mod to a group of meshes.

There are ways to work on the mesh once you've skinned it: saving skin data/using skin wrap/unchecking always deform/etc (I believe @Mark Dygert recently posted a great example) but idealistically you will save yourself hassle by just finalising the mesh before skinning it.
    Thanks! in this case though i think the client will make a few changes so i have to be flexible, i will be only rendering the model and using some textures so no need to unwrap etc i think so its why i can't finalize it as yet, can you point me to that post?