Home Technical Talk

How to unwrap 3dsmax body objects (imported from inventor fusion)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
How can you unwrap complex shapes like Imported Inventor fusion .STEP files?

- I have tried to use the projection modifier, create a shell that matches the shape and project the UVW's back to the imported body object. This does not work correctly.
- I have tried unwrapping the body object itself, by first converting it to topology (but this is extremly slow in the UVW editor). And there are seams everywhere because the model is not properly stitched together.
- I have made a base/shell with UV's, Reprojected the form on this shape and then decimated the form (keeping the uv's). This is cumbersome, gives the best results UVW wise, but not really good either.

Is there an other UVW workflow for imported Inventor Fusion/Inventor shapes?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot? What does the wireframe look like?

Have you tried using a standard unwrapping workflow? For example, look about 1/3 down this page for "Example: To use Peel Mode"
    http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/files/GUID-EA10E59F-DE7F-497E-B399-6CF213A02C8D.htm
  • asdaq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    Hello,
    I'm aware this thread is few years old but I am also and still looking for some manageable workflow for unwrapping files imported from design software like Inventor.
    Inventor models are surface models so at some point they have to be triangulated. After that I get ugly mesh that is really awful to work with. 
    From 3D artist standpoint the best solution is to treat this model as a HP base and create LP version using retopology workflow. This method however is not always meeting the criteria of precision the client requires. (These models are for real-time app).
    So I am stuck in unwrapping triangles. 

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to tackle this one?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are methods to automatically de-triangulate models in 3ds Max. On my phone so can't easily check. Check the help file, and search Scriptspot. Once it's mostly quads then you can use loop selections in Unwrap.
  • asdaq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    Poked by your comment I did some more of searching and came up with quadrify tool from the graphite set. It helps in some areas. I've tested some scripts from scriptspot before. They give mixed results. All depends on the complexity of the source model. 
    Thanks for your input.