Home Technical Talk

Research and Development for University final project in UE4, workflows and optimization discussion

Micaka
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Micaka polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount!
This is what i think my first post on this forum, have been using it as a great resource before for both technical issues and artistic views.

I am a student who is now reading my last year at university on a three year long arts degree in computer graphics.
Soon my personal big project which will be examed starts and i am preparing so much as possible at the moment and doing some research and development right now on what type of workflow i will use mainly in this project.

This is my main question here then, how can i work so efficient as possible and get out so much details as possible in UE4 but still run at 60+ fps at 1080p on a average gaming setup (such as an i5 and gtx 980)

I've been looking on two different workflows thus far and want to discuss some more about it regarding optimization in a finalized game.

First workflow is the classic. Create assets with high poly baked to low poly and then texture them using texture sheets per object and some atlas texture sheets for smaller props. Walls and floors can be procedural and modular with both mesh and textures.

Second workflow is similar to Star Citizen. Focus more on clamping down texture files, focusing more on procedural materials in a mix with decals. This will result in more materials per object but less texture sheets in a total as a texture sheet with decals can cover 10 different objects with details but each object might need 1-2 mixed materials.
Here baking can be skipped as i will probably used Face weighted normals, which requires some more tri-count because of chamfer / bevel.
* Key assets may get the first workflow applied as more work might be needed on details for such as statues and characters.

These are the two main workflows i've been looking at, got any more workflow idea or anything about these two in comparison? Or is it the best to mix these both?

Both workflow will benefit from PBR texturing workflow using Substance Painter and Quixel. And a such modular workflow as possible, for fast level creation and smarter pipeline.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Suggestion, start your thread with your ultimate question. There's a bunch of information in your post that's not effecting the answer to your question. You'll get more replies that way (and it should be in the topic).

Something like "UE4 Discussion - Highpoly workflow vs mesh decal textures"

Back on topic. Definitely read the existing thread Decal technique from Star Citizen 

The last page mentions a lot of issues that still exist with this workflow since it is a new feature. Also it's not the most efficient work flow in my experience (placing decals isn't streamlined without scripts and hot keys, and you don't get a great preview in 3d modeling application), and there's only a few cases where it is the best option (like large detailed space ships). 

Still ideas from this workflow are definitely useful, such as face weighted normals, they can let you get away without using a custom baked normal map. 

If you are just looking for a modular, fast, and smart workflow, it's not really about which techniques you use. It's more about the broad workflows, using block outs and not wasting time on details that don't matter. Test and establish a standard asset workflow, automate and reuse as much as possible. Plan ahead enough that you aren't wasting time redoing things, but don't over plan and just use it as an outline. Keep your project in scope, and don't go beyond what you need, until you are done with everything you need. 
  • Micaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaka polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the answer!
    Yeah that sounds pretty much logical, it is similar to how i have been working on earlier projects. I guess i am just overthinking about workflows at the moment and should put more time into planning assets and a good ground concept that i should base everything on.