Home Technical Talk

I need help to understand null groups for rigging purposes

jdow22
null
Offline / Send Message
jdow22 null
Hey! I am following the book "Body Language Advanced 3d Character Rigging" and it talks about null groups in this one part. It explains how to get a null group clean but doesn't really go in depth about types of problems that can arise. It says that all controls should have a null group to prevent some future errors in rotational or translational values when animating which I understand. The problem is, it talks about doing a parent constraint on the null group to the control itself (the control is moved beneath the null group before constraint). When I do it, I get double transforms happening along with other undesired results. There are no previous values in the Translate, rotate, or scale values before hand. All the joints are clean and oriented properly as well. My only guess is that all the incoming and outgoing node connections to the joints could be causing the issue. How do you cleanly make a null group that works and doesn't affect performance? I want this thing to work like it is supposed to. Thanks for all your help! 

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure your controller is snapped to your null group and then freeze transforms and delete the controllers history.

More than likely your group is parented to something and then also constrained to something else. you might have also constrained the controller, which they should be free of constrains in most cases. It's kind of hard to diagnose rigging issues without having the file to dig around in.
  • jdow22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdow22 null
    Oh ok, let me take another look. Is there a way to post the .mb? It won't let me drop the file.