Home Technical Talk

How do you isolate a face and an image plane in Maya?

lamington
null
I wanted the select a couple of faces and isolate them together with an image plane but it's not working. I can't select the face and the image plane simultaneously since I have to go to object mode to select the image plane. I tried selecting the faces that I want hidden and placing them on a layer and turning the visibility off but it doesn't work, nothing's happening when I click the v button. The only solution that worked for me at the moment is to extract the faces I want hidden and hide them but this seems to be a stretch. I expect I'll be needing to do this in the future so I was wondering how exactly do I isolate a couple of faces together with an image plane as efficiently as possible? It's weird that Maya has an isolate selected option but doesn't have a hide selected option like ZBrush.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

With Select by Object Type on, I'm able to be in face mode of an object and select the image plane for isolation without changing mode. Also, you can hide faces with ctrl-h if you're on 2016.5 or higher.
  • lamington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamington null

With Select by Object Type on, I'm able to be in face mode of an object and select the image plane for isolation without changing mode. Also, you can hide faces with ctrl-h if you're on 2016.5 or higher.

I'm very sorry I didn't see this reply, there was a blank space below my post, I thought there was no reply. Regardless, thank you, the ctrl + h option seems to work, I tried going select by object type but I can only select the image plane and the whole mesh, I could touch its faces.
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    stay in object mode as throttlekitty suggested - select the image plane and your object - rmb on your object  - faces - shift select faces and enter isolate mode.
  • lamington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamington null
    seb3d said:
    stay in object mode as throttlekitty suggested - select the image plane and your object - rmb on your object  - faces - shift select faces and enter isolate mode.
    Oh I see, thanks! I guess I was too used in mapping object, vertex, edge and faces on f1-f4 I forgot I could actually right click and do it from there.