Home Technical Talk

Should I Learn Blender or Modo

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
I've been thinking of moving away from Maya. I end up spending more time fixing errors caused by the program than I probably would have saved if I just used something else. I'm sure others can relate. I know a few of the really hard core guru's use Modo. Meanwhile Blender has a really sweet tool called Hard-Ops which reduces the number of clicks for any hard surface operations.

>Which one is quicker to learn.

>Which one is a has a faster modeling workflow?

>Which one is the most rock solid in terms of it's stability?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Oh boy, I can hear the Modo Master Race typing furiously on their keyboards already.

HardOps is cool, I use it myself, but I suspect you could probably get better results out of Mesh Fusion so I don't really think that should be a factor in your decision.

>Which one is quicker to learn.

>Which one is a has a faster modeling workflow?

>Which one is the most rock solid in terms of it's stability?
    1) Shrug

2) Shrug. Modeling is fast for me in Blender but I have customized the UI to the point where it is unrecognizable to Blender out of the box. I suspect a lot of people have given how easy it is to do.

3) Blender is very stable, can't comment on Modo.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    1) Blender is faster to learn, mostly because it has a substantially larger community and far more guides and tutorials. Finding any kind of help for Modo is an incredible chore. Modo does have a far more intuitive interface and toolset, though.
    2) Modo is definitely faster once you customize it with hotkeys and pie menus. Blender is technically faster out of the box, but that requires you to have memorized the existing hotkeys, of which there are many.
    Modo will allow you to have a single key perform a different function depending on any number of factors; what selection type you have active, what tool you're currently using, which panel you're currently in, etc. The tools themselves are also more robust, reliable and plentiful. The Bevel tool is a perfect example; the B key can bevel either verts, edges, or faces depending on your selection, and can simultaneously extrude, inset, or bevel.
    Modo also has many ways of speeding up selection, like pattern select to grab every 3rd edge loop on a cylinder, as an example.
    3) If you mean crashing, I've never had either do that. Though Blender does have far more quirky behavior, if that's what you mean.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    Blender is opensource, can fit any pipeline without extra cost for the company or yourself.
    You can subscribe to the Blender cloud to get access to training and resources for 10euro a month.
    I like Blender because the strong modifier stack approach, such as bevel modifier, data transfer, triangulate etc.. 
    I don't know much about Modo.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Which one would be better for you depends a lot on your needs, preferences, and pipeline. You can also just try them both out. Blender is free, and Modo has a free trial.
    Budget constraints is a big consideration; Blender is free, and a solid all-in-one toolset. It doesn't play as well with other software, though. Modo does what it does extremely well, but is best used with other tools like ZBrush and Substance Painter, all of which have a cost.

Modo has powerful modeling and rendering. It also has powerful pipeline support, like GoZ and substances, as well as game engine shaders and exporting. Animation is difficult to work with in it.
    Blender has stronger animation, as well as relatively effective secondary tools often offloaded to other software, like sculpting and painting. The strict opensource license generally blocks it off from interacting directly with other software.
    Modo can also do many things out of the box that Blender requires addons for, which run the risk of losing support at any time. Boolean (HardOps) and retopology (Contours) tools are a good example. But due to the much larger community, Blender does have far more addons, and very useful ones at that.

To give an idea of their respective strengths, Modo is often preferred for product design, and Blender is often preferred for VFX. For games, it's a bit of a mixed bag.
    Blender is most often used by small studios on a budget, and Modo is most often used by individual team members working on environments and props.
    Modo can do character work as well as anything, but there are better tools for rigging/animating them,  and the huge majority of character modeling is usually done in ZBrush anyway.
    Modo does see some character work in mobile games, due to the often very low-poly designs that are better off having the base model made without sculpting, and the simpler rigging/animations used by them.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    1) As someone who came from Maya and also took a swing at Blender for a bit, I found Modo easier to adopt. Just pick the officially supported Maya keymap/navigation in Modo, turn off trackball rotation and you will feel at home.  Blender is not worth relying on as it expects you to learn its radically different control scheme and the non blender keymaps are known to have issues. Additionally, on the development end, Modo is far more reliable.

2) Modo. Easy. In blender you have work with a handful of extrudes and bevels as separate operations as well as for separate components. They are not context sensitive. Modo on the other hand smartly puts it into one operation. Press B and you can extrude or bevel, or both. Context sensitive. If you add geometry in Modo, it get added to the UVs properly. The one perk I would say Blender has is that its modifiers are less convoluted and you have a lot of plugins to play with, the downside with the plugins though is that they could die out when the developer vanishes and Blender does a version update.

3) Blender is more stable. This is not to say that Modo crashes a lot, far from it. Just I can only think of 3 times Blender has ever crashed on me and I believe two of the times was with a beta build. Modo has crashed a handful of times over the years, not enough to say its not stable. I would still consider it a stable application.
    Blender does have more learning materials, Modo struggles to pump out enough. However there are enough to get someone going with Modo's basics.

With all that said, Modo does have the financial incentive to appeal to its base and stay competitive on a professional level. Blender does not and there is no transparency as to how donations are spent with Blender. If you go with Modo, you still have access to Blender as a side app. Less to lose that way, other than the cost of buying Modo.

One important thing to take into consideration is that Modo does have an advanced PBR viewport with Unreal and Unity shaders, there is also a substance plugin.  With 10.2, autoretopology will be available as well. For a game artist it is simply better software.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    Oh boy, I can hear the Modo Master Race typing furiously on their keyboards already.
    I'm sold already lol!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's worth noting that MODO will happily let you create geometry that other software would consider illegal.

It's very much up to the user to model cleanly and keep the mesh in order.

So if you're after something that'll stop you doing that (sounds like you are) it's probably not for you.

All that said, Blender is free and MODO has a free demo so just give them both a try?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I've used blender, maya, modo and lightwave professionally. Blender and lightwave weren't much fun for me personally, lightwave is just not good for games and blender never felt comfortable to me. Maya is obviously pretty awesome, I used that for 10ish years but this year I switched to modo and it's so good!

Honestly I think it ends up being personal preference but modo is starting to grow so rapidly in games now that I think it'd be silly not to check it out :)
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
    I've always wanted to try my hand at Blender but I've tended to stay using tools that are considered industry standard. MODO seems to be becoming more and more popular these days too. As others have said though it comes down to the pipeline that you choose to work in.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Farfarer said:
    It's worth noting that MODO will happily let you create geometry that other software would consider illegal.

Blender doesn't prevent you from creating non-manifold geo either last time I checked.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Mant1k0re said:
    Farfarer said:
    Blender doesn't prevent you from creating non-manifold geo either last time I checked.
    Yeah Blender is in the same boat, I'm not sure what the benefit is to this but I found it pretty annoying.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, fair enough.

In terms of benefits, I've found it really handy at times to be able to create non-manifold geometry on the way to creating manifold geometry. Otherwise you're cutting and pasting chunks of the mesh out to perform the operations before having to weld it all back together once it's clean.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    about the non-manifold, take a look at the skin modifier, useful also during retopo.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    blender has a pretty good and fast modeling workflow IF you have learned the hotkeys and know your way inside the software
    it has pretty awesome features, which sadly are not so obvious from the start
    and theres a shitton of addons for nearly everything

i did not try modo yet, but from the videos i have seen it looks nice too
    just try them both

and like stated above, blender is free, so you can always have it as second app without extra cost

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Modo doesn't have modifiers.   It's around a  principle  once done,  it's done.  
        Blender is more like 3ds max.     A lot of live stacked modifiers.   It's so a huge advantage    that really overweights  slightly  less advanced and less context aware mesh modelling tools.   Sometimes I  watch Houdiny videos and think:   ok,  I can do same in Blender and 3dmax.

Right now Modo has better fbx import/export imo.   Stll materials come messy  in both 

Cycles  imo is more convenient. simple and easy to work render than Modo one.   It feels more modern since you don't have to learn a lot of technical stuff to use it.   On the other hand Modo's  one is  a bit more flexible.  Modo has outstanding texture baker  doing unique things no other soft can.    Blender baker is slow , aliased  and glitchy. 

Both soft are far far away  behind 3d Max  in regards of  editable and importable poly count .   Same for particle preview  and editing.  

Blender node editors  is a piece of art  itself .   Extremly simple, user friendly and context aware.   Working real-time for  both GLSL and Cycles gpu preview  with a speed of light.
       Coming to Substance Designer from Blender is a tourture.  Same with Modo.    Formerly I loved old ShaderFX plugin for 3d Max , then they implemented it inside and now I hardly able to use it .  
    Any time  I need to show a shader idea  to  programmer , I use Blender.  

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Dataday said:
     If you add geometry in Modo, it get added to the UVs properly. 

it's actually works pretty much same in Blender with same limitations.   You just  have to use inset: I , bevel:Ctrl+B,  slide: GG  and "correct UVs" checked in  with some tools.   But you do have to push more keyboard buttons and few of them sevral times.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    gnoop said:
    Modo doesn't have modifiers.   It's around a  principle  once done,  it's done.  

Coming to Substance Designer from Blender is a tourture.  Same with Modo.   

1. Modo has modifiers now as of version 10.1, they are called MeshOps in Modo. The workflow is a bit awkward but they do exist.

2. There is an official substance plugin for Modo. Going back and forth between them is not torture. In addition to that, Modo has both a Unity and Unreal Engine 4 material which is the same targets you can achieve with substance.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Thanks for MeshOps tint.  Didn't know that.  

I meant not going in between Substance Designer and  Modo exactly.  I meant  how  simple, convenient, and instantly clear and readable nodes  and node groups are in Blender.   How much they are  hotkety driven and how quickly you can work with them.   

I mean that being accustomed to Blender nodes, it's a tourture to work with Substance Designer ones.   No node bypass , all those grayscale or color input mismatches,  all those exposed parameters you can't recall  what  they do,  even  in your own substances.    The whole SD node network is unreadable mess.

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Blender has been the one and only tool for 3D modeling for me, and it's very stable, no crashes or weird bugs whatsoever. I'd say go with Blender.

But, @gnoop, I can't just ingore that you're having 2-4 spaces after a sentence, so irritating to read (you need only one). Sorry, I'm just a prefectionist. :D