Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knife Machete "The Regale" + material renders

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Treidge polycounter lvl 11

Hi, 

Here's one of my recent works — knife machete "The Regale".

My goal was to make a lowpoly game-ready model with mix of wood, paint and metal materials. Another goal was to prepare decent model presentation shots and make them fun.

I chose a knife machete for this project. Though it's a pretty simple object, I found some interest in making a model of it. Good amount of attention went to ensuring that the blade will capture the feel of roughly sharpened edge, like I saw on some reference images.

During texturing I had a thought on how to play around those three horizontal flexibility grooves on the blade — the result is on images. The imprint was made by me, though the concept isn't mine: saw it on a funny t-shirt one day.

The model has 1530 triangles. Textures of 4096x4096 were used. I'm including some images of rendered materials that was made in Substance Painter specifically for this project.

Artstation link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4kPB2

Thank you for checking this out,

Sergey

Sketchfab:

model

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The detail on the wood and material presentation looks great, but I don't think the graphic and 3 groves really go with the rest of the knife design. 
  • Treidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for feedback, @ZacD. Grooves were modeled as in a reference object, and for the graphics I thought of something that will hint zombies in a fun way. Like, if this is a machete, there should be zombies somewhere. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think a paint job like that would go better with more of a CSGO style knife, something more aggressive and military looking. My main issue with the graphic is that the red part looks painted, but the Pacman graphic doesn't look like it's hand painted on, or a sticker, or part of some vinyl wrap, it looks like it was magically printed on some how, which doesn't make sense IMO. 
  • Treidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point. I planned to make it as a transparent sticker first with some tear and weathering, but decided to go with an aerographic-style painting in the end. There's some roughness added in texture for the graphics, but difference is pretty subtle, so no wonder that it looks like it's a part of original coating. Something to be aware of in the future.